31 - Mom

There's only about three or four more chapters in Newborn! Thanks for your reads and votes, I really appreciate it :)
I will be making Newborn x2, (finally I decided on a title,) but not until I finish my newest short story. (Similar to the length of Sick Day.) It's called Charlie Meets Cas. Please read it when it comes out / you get the chance and let me know what you think. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------

Mary woke up to the shattering of glass. She bolted upright in bed and looked around, instinctively reaching for the daggar on her bedside table. There was no daggar. As Mary's eyes adjusted she realized she was'nt in her bedroom.

She got up nonetheless to make sure her birthmom was okay. "Hello?" She called as she went downstairs.

"Good morning!" Came a reply, "sorry about that, I just dropped a plate. Clumsy me," Clarie chuckled. Mary went into the kitchen and helped her sweep up little shards of glass. The tile was stained red and was severely discolored. In fact, this whole house looked like nobody had lived in it for years.

"Breakfast?" Clarie suggested, and opened the wood cupboard. "I'm good," Mary said, and Clarie smiled sympathetically. "I know you miss your old school," she said, "and your old friends."

"And my dads and uncles," Mary interjected. Clarie's harsh laugh followed. "No, sweetie," she corrected Mary, "they are not your dads and uncles. They are not your family. I am. They took you away from me, those gay..." she shook her head, sighing instead of cussing. Mary felt defensivenes climb into her throat and she wanted to yell, to scream, to correct this lady. She wanted to run out the front door and back to her home and the people she loved. She wanted to defend them with words. But she didn't. She stayed put. Clarie got herself a mug of coffee and sat down again, sipping slowly.

"So...Mary Grace Winchester, huh?" Clarie finally commented, "that's your name?" Mary nodded in reply and Clarie pursed her lips. "Mmm, we'll have to change that."

Mary must've looked taken aback, which she was, because Clarie smiled reassuringly and took another sip of coffee. "You can't do that," Mary exclaimed, cleared her throat and corrected herself in a calmer voice, "I mean, I like my name how it is now."

"Sweetie," Clarie laughed, "I'm your mom. I choose your name." She studied Mary's face for a moment and then opened her mouth as if she had a "lightbulb moment." She clapped her hands together, resting her chin on them. "I know," she cheered, "Katelyn Wing!"

Mary cringed at the new name. It was so ordinary. And it was nothing like her. "I really do like Mary Grace," she said, but Clarie shushed her. "What I say goes, Katelyn," she said proudly. Mary slumped in her seat. "So!" Clarie began again, "house rules!" She cleared her throat and continued, the smile on her face never diminishing even the slightest bit. "Rule number one! Stay in the house unless you have permission. Rule two, you have to help with the chores. Three, no running away or anything crazy like that. Not that you'd ever want to run away, right? Okay, rule four! No phone calls without me there, no texting unless I read over your shoulders. And finally rule five, do everything you're told."

Mary's mouth hung open. No calls? No texts? No leaving the house?! Mary was about to open her mouth to argue, but Clarie interrupted her once again. "No questioning me, Katelyn, or I might have to show you who I really am."

Mary didn't know what that meant, but she quickly excused herself and climbed up the stairs, back to that gaudy yellow guest bedroom. This was horrible. Mary couldn't think of another time she felt so miserable. Her phone went off really loudly, and she glanced at the lit screen. Mike.

"Did I hear a phone?" Clarie exclaimed, and Mary could hear running feet up to the bedroom. Clarie smiled and said, "you can answer it now." Mary shut her eyes and second and slowly opened them again. "No thanks," she said, and with another smile Clarie went back downstairs. Mary went after her after a moment and she was already in the kitchen when Mary walked up to her. "I have a question, er...mom," she said. Clarie nodded, "what is it Katelyn Wing?"

"Why did you leave me on the side of the road?"

Clarie out the knife she was cutting vegetables with down, and turned towards Mary. "Because I couldn't take care of you," she said simply. "Why?" Mary persisted."

"Because I was too young, I didn't have a job," Clarie answered.

"But you were thirty," Mary stated, "why didn't you have a job?" Clarie's face showed her annoyance. Mary knew she was getting to the truth by that look. "Because your father left me," she said, her voice a low growl. Mary chuckled and Clarie asked her what was so funny. "Oh," Mary replied, "it's just that I know he's not my dad. Just like you're not my mom."

That was all it took. Clarie's tired old eyes flickered to black and she shoved Mary against the wall. Mary quickly grabbed the knife she had been cutting with and stabbed Clarie through the heart with it. The woman sank to the ground, clutching at her chest. The black of her eyes faded out with the words, "I knew I should have chosen someone else." Mary smirked at the demon's stupidity. It should have chosen another human. Since Clarie was old, she was an easy kill.

Mary knelt down beside Clarie Wing, the real Clarie Wing. The woman's eyes fluttered open. "Who....what?"

Mary smiled a little. "Hi," she said sweetly, "my name is Mary Grace Winchester. I'm your daughter," she added with a chuckle. Clarie still looked confused. "What are you talking about? I don't have a daughter."

"Claire," Mary said reluctantly, "what's the last thing you remember?" Claire's eyes closed for a long time, so long Mary thought she had died, but they shot open again unexpectedly. "I was at the hospital," Clarie croaked out, "My sister had a baby boy with her second husband, a few years before, and now they were having another. I met a man there, he gave me a baby with black hair and freckles," she sighed and continued, "he told me I was to leave this baby by the side of the road four streets down from the hospital. He said his name was Chuck. Strange man."

Mary giggled. "That's Chuck for you."

Clarie smiled weakly and kept going, "then the next thing I knew, some girl was telling me she was going to possess me, telling me she was a demon or something. That I would die when she died."

Mary felt her eyes getting wet so she wiped them on her heather grey long sleeve shirt and sniffed twice. "Thank you," Mary said, and Clarie smiled, the light of her eyes dimly fading. "What was the name of your sister's baby?" Mary asked, trying to keep the woman out of pain and distracted. Clarie closed her eyes. "Their new one, his name was Peter. He only lived for a few months, I'm afraid." Mary frowned and said, "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," Clarie said softly, her voice dimming alongside her conciousness. "What about the older boy?" Mary asked when she saw Clarie wince from the pain, "what was his name?" The light from Clarie's eyes were completely out and they were now covered by thin pale eyelids. Only raspy, spread-apart breathing could be heard. "His name was Mike Joseph Lombardi," she said, and breathed her last.

----------------------------------------------------
PLOT TWIST! So Clarie Wing isn't really her mother! *gasp* Hope you liked this chapter, I'll try to write more asap. Thanks again!