17 - New Too

It was gym class and Mary sat alone on the bleachers, still thinking about first period. How dare they talk about her and her family that way?! It is public school, Mary reminded herself, there will be far worse than someone realizing your parents are gay.

But one question hung in the air and made Mary wonder. How was she born? Castiel told her she was from God. Which was true, but God didn't just place random people on the Earth. Was she adopted? No, Dean or Cas would've told her by now. Wouldn't they?

Mary peeked into her backpack where her brown paper bag lunch was and her stomach growled. Fifteen more minutes until she got to eat. At home she ate whenever she wanted, not at a specific scheduled time. She watched the girls below play floor hockey until the bell rang and Mary bolted from the bleachers, racing into the cafeteria.

She sat at a table by herself. A group of friends who were laughing sat a little ways from her. They looked nice, but...there was a girl there who was an onlooker from this morning. Going up and talking to her probably wouldn't end well. So instead she scooted farther away from them and opened up her brown paper bag. There was leftover chicken from last night's dinner, a small water bottle, a piece of leftover microwavable pie, and a blue raspberry lollipop with a sticky note on it that said "from Gabriel." Mary smiled at the note and opened the pie. Dean always let Mary eat the dessert first, especially if it was pie.

After a few minutes, someone sat across from her. "Hi," Mary said, but her voice cracked. She closed her eyes, placing a hand on her chest. "Ah, sorry, my voice sounds so weird," she mumbled. The girl who was sitting there smiled. She looked friendly, but a bit odd. She had lavender hair and black lipstick and a ton of black eyeliner on. And black clothes. And really high-wedge-heeled lace up black boots. "It's okay," the girl said back, "I'm Shayly. I usually sit by myself too."

Mary smiled a bit and patted the seat next to her. "Want to join me?" Shayly smiled and sat next to her, pulling out her own lunch, which was some unidentifiable sushi roll and shrimp. Shyly pulled out chopsticks and began to eat. "So, you're new?" She asked.

"Yeah," Mary answered, taking a sip of water. Shyly smiled, "I was new too. Well, to high school. To this country. I just moved here from Japan. My parents decided one day to pull me out of America and move to Japan for two years. So now the two years are past and I'm back."

"Cool," Mary smiled. They continued eating and talking until the bell was about to ring. Mary gave Shayly her schedule. "I have cooking class last also. See you there?" Shayly asked. Mary smiled and nodded before they both had to split ways and go to their next class. Finally someone talked to her!

---------------------------------------------------

Halfway through cooking class, Mary's day had already turned around. She loved the teacher, the class, and that her cooking partner was Shayly. The teacher even let her bake whatever she wanted today, so she made a cherry pie for Dean.

When the last bell rang, she grabbed her backpack and headed out. "Bye!" She called to her new friend, who smiled back and went the opposite direction out the back door.

Mary stood out in the warm sun, waiting for the Impala. She studied her pie, which was slowly melting. Finally the car pulled up and she opened the door in the front passenger seat.

"Hey!" Dean greeted. Mary smiled and handed him the pie. "From cooking class," she announced, "they let me take it home. It's for you."

"Thanks Mary," Dean said and started driving back to the bunker. "So...how was your first day?"

"Mm...okay I guess," Mary sighed, running a hand through her hair, "it was pretty rough in the beginning but then someone sat with me at lunch and I think we might be friends. I dunno." Dean nodded, "well that's good." They got to the bunker and went inside. Mary was immediately attacked with a hug by Cas.

"Mary!" He exclaimed, "how was your day? Are you okay? Did you make friends?!" He hugged his daughter tighter and she laughed. "Yeah, I'm fine, dad," she giggled. Dean kissed Cas on the cheek before going to the kitchen to try and find a fork for his pie.

They all had dinner and then Mary went to her bedroom and worked on homework until it was almost nine thirty. She yawned and switched off the light, but not before changing into sweatpants and a pajama top. Soon Castiel came in.

"Read me a story?" Mary asked. Cas smiled. She knew how to read, of course, but having the angel read to her was really relaxing for her. Castiel picked a random book off her shelf. Sleeping Beauty. He sat on the bed next to her, hugging her close, and started to read. Not even two chapters in, Dean came in through the door. He spotted the book Castiel was reading Mary and snatched it out of his hands. "Cas what are you reading?! This is a horrible story to read to her, oh my God Cas! Freakin'..." He put the book back on the shelf, "...freakin' stupid fairy tales. She's going to get unrealistic expectations of men!"

"She's in high school, Dean," was all Castiel said and Mary covered her mouth with her hand, trying to stifle back a laugh. Finally Cas and Dean gave her kisses on the cheek and turned off the light again. "'Night Mary," Dean smiled. Mary looked up at him. "Can I go on a hunt with you and Sam this weekend?" She asked sweetly. Dean chuckled and nodded, closing the door behind him and Cas.

When the door was shut, Dean turned towards Castiel. "She knows."

"What? She knows what?" Cas asked, confused.

"I can see it in her eyes," Dean sighed, "she knows she was adopted." He strode into the kitchen, grabbing a beer. "I figured we'd have to tell her sometime."

Cas calmly sat on a stool across from the hunter, eyes dead serious. "Dean," he started, "what do you mean, adopted?"

-------------------------------------------------------------
CLIFFHANGER!! Ahhhhhh sorry! *winced* I promise I will try to update soon! I've had my hands full writing this fanfic and also Sick Day, which is a short Destiel story I'm writing this spring break. (Please read it if you have time and let me know what you think!) So sorry if I don't update soon enough! Thanks for your patience, reader-chan!

Luci: Wait, "reader-chan"? Really? Anime terms?

Me: Yeah, got a problem, Satan?

Luci: *shakes head in disbelief* You are so disrespectful

Levi: (my anime boyfriend btw) Tch, you hitting on my girl brat?

Luci: Ugh, as if.

Levi: *pulls out double blades* I'm not scared of hell, Lucifer.

Me: Ahhh guys don't fight over meeee! *blushes then looks at readers* You guys are still reading? Um...okay then....uh...sorry you had to hear that. I'm pretty much just ramble-writing at this point. Soooo....see you next chapter!

*sounds of blades clanging and Lucifer screaming like a little girl in the background*