21 - Write About A Time

Hi! A quick note before this chapter...these marks, ~~~, are going to stand for the beginning and end of a flashback.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Mary tapped her pencil eraser lazily on her desk as the language arts teacher babbled on about something she didn't care about. Idioms, probably. Mary looked out the window at the parking lot. Was this how Dean felt when he went to school? It was so boring he just didn't do anything? Mary liked school. She liked having something to do to get her mind off hunting. And the electives were fun, art and cooking. Although, how did Sam make it through, what, seven years of school? Didn't he ever get bored?

"A project for today!" The teacher's words brought Mary's gaze away from the window and back on the board. "Today in class you will have to work on this and then if you don't finish, which you probably won't, you will have to complete it for homework," the teacher continued, "begin!"

All Mary's classmates took out paper and began writing. Mary tapped the girl in front of her. "Uh...I didn't hear what the assignment was," she said nervously, "what are we supposed to be doing?" The girl rolled her eyes and replied, "write about a time you did something fun as a child." And with that, she turned back around.

Something fun as a child? Mary had a lot of fun memories. Probably just not ones she could write for a school project. Mary put a hand under her chin. There had to be some memory of her childhood that didn't include angels and demons and all that. Mary silently smiled as she remembered one time. She grabbed paper and a blue pen and began to write the title. The zoo trip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Come on, Sam!" Dean groaned as Sam piled stuff into the Impala trunk.

Mary giggled from inside in her carseat. Castiel was struggling to figure out the straps and mechanisms of the carseat seatbelt, and he couldn't quite get it. "Need some help, Cas?" Dean called but earned a frustrated grumble back from the angel. "I know how to buckle in a child, Dean," Cas said, finally giving up and tying the seatbelt in a knot before palnting a kiss on Mary's forehead and getting into the front seat of the Impala.

"Hey," Sam complained as Castiel took his usual seat. Dean chuckled and opened the left passenger door for his brother. "I need you to keep an eye on your husband," he smiled. Sam sighed and slipped inside, giving a bitchface to Gabriel, who was tickling Mary. Immediately at Sam's unamoosed gaze, Gabe stopped and rolled his eyes, snapping a lollipop into existence and putting it in his mouth.

Dean got in and started the engine, then began to drive to the zoo.

When they got there, Mary didn't want to go in her stroller. "I wanna walk awownd!" She whined. Dean sighed in frustration and threw his hands up in defeat. Cas looked at his upset husband and picked Mary up, carrying the girl on his shoulders. Dean smiled now, and began wrestling the stroller back into the Impala trunk. Sam and Gabriel walked up with five zoo tickets. "Got 'em," Sam smiled and they all made their way through the gates.

"Stop it, Gabe," Sam said, steering the archangel away from the candy stand on the side of the pebbled path. "Moosey I need sugar," Gabe complained.

"Oh my God, it's like raising two kids," Dean sighed and handed Gabriel a five dollar bill, "knock yourself out." The archangel ran to the stand, Sam chasing after him. Dean took Mary off Castiel's shoulders and put her on his own. "My turn," he said kindly, knowing Cas didn't want to carry around the girl the whole time, "we'll take turns, okay babe?"

"Thank you Dean," Cas smiled and kissed Dean once quickly on the lips before leading the way to the first exhibit. It was an aquarium. Dean brought Mary to every cage and she stared in wonder at all the fish, sharks, stingrays, and turtles, hands and face pressed up against the glass. Cas was transfixed by a bee hive outside. Dean chucked at both of them.