23 - Homecoming

Hey guys. Just wondering if there's anything you want to suggest/tell me about the story? Let me know what you think. Enjoy this chapter!
-----------------------------------------

"I'm not going," Mary said flatly. Her friend Shayly was trying to convince her to go to homecoming dance as they walked down the crowded school hallway.

"Come on, please?" Shayly begged, "I'm going to be all alone if you don't go!" She winked and added quickly, "and I just happen to know one of the teacher chaperones is going to be there!"

"Shut up," Mary commanded, blushing just a bit. Shayly laughed and watched the assistant principal walk by. Mary noticed how Shayly rolled her eyes when the woman past and smiled fake-sweetly. Sometimes Mary wondered how much she could trust her friend. Mary hadn't told her anything important, except her crush.

"You have to come," Shayly pleaded again, breaking Mary's thoughts. The hunter sighed and finally gave in, shrugging in agreement. It was late--tonight was actually the night of the dance--but Mary would go anyway, to make Shayly happy.

Back at the bunker, Mary dressed in high-waisted blue shorts, a flowy white tank top, and sandals. Nothing fancy, but still fancier than she was used to.

"Where are you going, Mary?" Castiel asked when she attempted to creep out the door. "Um...nowhere," Mary avoided the question.

"Mary." Another voice said, in the most serious tone. Dean walked in with Gabriel and Sam. "Where are you going?" Dean asked. He knew his daugter almost never dressed this fancy. Mary's shoulders slumped and she mumbled, "my friend is forcing me to come to the school dance."

"WHAT?!" Dean and Cas shouted in unison, and at the same time, both raced up and started lecturing her about how if she goes she can't dance with boys or kiss anyone or get into trouble and to call them and bring her dagger.

"How about I go too?" Gabriel suggested to get them off his niece's case.

"No. Sammy will go," Dean said, "I don't trust you with watching Mary in a crowd of like a hundred brat kids." And so, Sam drove Mary to the dance. Mary got out of the front seat and gestured towards the front door of the school. "Comin'?"

Sam shook his head and gave her a small smile. "Gabe and I both think you don't need any parental supervision," he said with his fingers in air quotes, "just take care of yourself, okay? Be good. Be safe."

Mary smiled widely and kissed his cheek before closing the door and starting towards the school. Once she got inside, she immediately spotted Shayly. Not that she was hard to spot. She had dyed her hair a brighter shade of pastel purple, and was wearing a black velvet dress, black heels, and a black flower crown. She also had on her usual black lipstick and heavy eyeliner. Mary suddenly felt very undressed.

"Mary!" Shayly exclaimed, coming over and taking Mary's hand, dragging her inside the gym, where the dance was taking place.

"I feel underdressed," Mary admitted, but Shayly laughed. "Nah," she assured Mary, "you look great!"

They went inside and hung around for a while, by the snack table. They talked about nothing in particular, watching the other students dance. Mary couldn't help but notice Shayly was wearing a small beaded bracelet, and one of the charms was a black wooden upsidown cross. Did that mean anything? Or was it just part of Shayly's strange fashion?

"So what about your parents?" Shayly asked, bringing Mary back to reality. Mary sighed. "Don't get offended or anything, but my parents are gay," she blurted.

"No problem," Shayly smiled, "my neighbors are too. And my aunt is. What are your parents names? I told you mine, they're really embarrassing."

Mary laughed a bit but continued, "Dean and Castiel. Then I live with my uncles Sam and Gabriel, who are also married." Mary watched Shayly's mouth drop. "What?" Mary asked, face falling. Shayly quickly closed her mouth and fingered her bracelet. "I, uh..." She glanced at the crowd, "there's Mike!! Go dance! My, um, my parents wanted me home by like, seven. Okay, bye! Have fun!" She hurried out the back door, leaving Mary standing by herself. Well that happened, Mary thought to herself, confused.

"Mary," a familiar voice said. Mary turned to see Mike walking towards her. "Hi," she gushed, finally not feeling alone in her casual attire. He was wearing his usual jeans and long sleeve black t-shirt. "You have a date, I would guess?" Mike said suddenly.

"Oh! No," Mary said, "I don't. I was here with Shayly, she's my friend...I was here with her, but, um, yeah," she stumbled over her words. Mike simply nodded. "I was forced to come out of teacher duties," he said with a playful roll of his eyes. Mary laughed and told him how she was also kind of forced into coming. Mid-laugh, a barely audible scream sounded from the side of the building. Mike looked at Mary, and they both nodded, grabbing their hunting tools, and ran outside into the cool night air.

The two searched everywhere, but couldn't find the source of the scream. "Maybe we imagined it?" Mary suggested, but they both knew that wasn't the case. Mary put her dagger back in her bag. "I'll keep a look out tomorrow in school." Mike Joseph nodded and a silence followed as they sat on a bench together. Finally, Mary spoke. Her confidence was high at the moment, for some reason, Mary didn't know why. "My uncle is going to pick me up," she said.

"Sam?" Mike asked. Mary nodded and so did he. Another silence before two headlights were seen coming up to the curb. Sam sat there in the driver's seat of the Impala, clicking at his phone, not paying attention.

"Gotta go," Mary said, and stood. Mike stood too, and kissed her on the cheek, once, before quickly striding back inside the building.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hope you liked it! I've been trying to fit writing time into my busy school schedule...

Ale: That was so cute!

Luci: Ughhhhhhhhh kiss alreadyyyy

Me & Ale: What????

Luci: *stammers* uh, I mean, I didn't say anything, um uh argh BYE! *disappears*