3 - Mary

Hi! The chapters will get longer now...sorry for the super short chapters! Okay, here's chapter three!
-------------------------------------------------------------

A week had passed since Cas and Dean had prayed together for a child, and Dean could see the hopefulness slowly draining from his partner's face.

The frown on Castiel's face made him want to cry. He wanted to make him happy again...but how? The only way he could help Cas feel better was to give birth. And that definitely wasn't happening anytime soon.

Dean grabbed the newspaper by the TV and flipped through it, trying to distract himself from Cas. Suddenly he saw it.

It.

The ad for the adoption center just down the road. "That's it!!" Dean yelled, then covered his mouth as Cas turned around, a confused look on his face.

"I mean," Dean tried to think of an excuse, quick, "there's a new case. I'm gonna go...check it out. Okay?"

Castiel just nodded and went back to washing the dishes. He was getting water everywhere. Dean couldn't help but smile as Cas put a sopping wet plate covered in soap bubbles into the drying rack.

Dean put on his coat and hurried to the Impala. He could give Cas a child. He smiled as he drove to the center, excited. He was going to be a dad!

--------------------------------------------

When he got there he quickly ran to the front desk. "Hi," he breathed.

The lady behind the desk looked up at him from silver-rimmed square glasses. "Hello. How can I help you?"

Dean smiled. "Uh...I'd like a kid, please!" He chuckled and the lady frowned even more. "Sir, I'm going to need to do a background check on you," she said flatly. Dean hurriedly gave all his information and shifted his weight uncomfortably as she clicked through something on her computer screen. Finally she looked up, a bigger frown on her face. "Dean Winchester?"

"Yes," Dean tried a smile again. The lady continued frowning and narrowed her gaze. "And it says you are...unemployed?"

"Uh, between jobs at the moment," Dean said. The lady stared at him, making him shift uncomfortably again. After a long silence she looked back to the screen. "And you plan on raising this adopted child by yourself?"

"Oh. Un, no, I have a partner," Dean mumbled, suddenly realizing this adoption lady might not be too supportive of gay marriage.

"Oh! What's her name?" She said, a smile now forming on her lips. Dammit. Dean rubbed the back of his head, wincing as he said the name. "Cas."

To his surprise the lady smiled fully now. "That must be short for Cassidy!" She beamed, "that's great! I'm sure you and your wife will be great parents!" She glanced at the form in her hand. "I need to know the reason for adoption. Is she not able to have children?"

"You could say that," Dean answered, pleasantly surprised. Cassidy. Sure, he could roll with that.

The woman filled out a few forms, had Dean sign two or three pages, then led him to the kids' rooms. "Now," she said as they made their way down the long narrow hallway, "what age are you looking for?"

Cas wanted a baby, Dean remembered. "Newborn," he answered. The lady smiled again and led him into a glass window into a room. There were lots of newborn babies inside. Dean pressed his face up to the window. "Okay, so which ones are the boys," he said, smiling.

The woman frowned. "Boys?" She chuckled a bit. "Mr. Winchester, this is an all-girl adoption center. Surely you knew that." She raised an eyebrow. "You did know that, right?"

Dean shook his head. "Uh, yeah! Of course, I was just...I was just kidding." He looked at all the baby girls sleeping in cradles. He glanced at each face, looking for one that looked like him. None of them did. Except...

There was one baby, in the back, who had Castiel's black fuzzy hair, Dean's freckles and smile, and Cas's beautiful blue eyes framed with the longest dark eyelashes Dean had ever seen on a baby. "Uh, that one's good," he said, pointing to her.

"Oh. Sir, are you sure you want that one?" The lady asked, eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"Why wouldn't I?" Dean asked.

"Well...she was left on the streets. We found her bundled up in an alleyway by a bunch of apartment complexes. We aren't sure who her parents are, or where she came from." She went inside the room and brought the baby out, who was wrapped in a pastel pink blanket with small angels patterned on it. The woman placed her in Dean's arms.

Dean looked down at the baby. She slept so soundly, and was so beautiful. She had a perfect combination of Dean and Castiel's features. Dean felt his eyes well up but he swallowed back his happy tears, not wanting to look like a sissy.

The lady obviously knew he was doing this because she smiled sweetly and grabbed one last form. "Of course I want her," Dean finally said. He filled out the final form, stopping when he saw the Baby's Name line. He wracked his brain, trying to think of a name for the baby. One Castiel would like too.

"Excuse me," he said, pulling out his cell phone. He dialed Cas's number and immediately got an answer. "Hello Dean?" His deep voice said over the speaker.

"Hey, Casssss...." Dean saw the lady watching him, "...ssssidy?"

"Excuse me?"

"Cas, uh...I have a question for you," Dean quickly said.

"How is the hunt going, Dean? Did you find the demon?" Cas asked, interrupting.

"Yeah, sure Cas, I found one," he smiled nervously at the lady, hoping she thought he was talking about a baby, not a demon that didn't even exist, it had just been a cover for Dean so he could surprise the angel with a baby.

"Found one what?" Cas asked.

"A demon, Cas!" Dean said, reminding him, then suddenly looked back over at the lady, whose eyes were wide. Dean quickly covered the speaker. "Crossword puzzle," he smiled, making a lame excuse. It worked because she went back to smiling and nodding.

"Listen, Cas, remember how we were talking about a having a baby? If you could name a baby anything, what would it be?" Dean asked as casually as possible.

"Mary," Castiel replied simply.

"Really? Why?" Dean asked, his mind going straight to his mom, Mary Winchester.

"Your mother," Castiel answered, as if reading the hunter's mind, "and for the Virgin Mary, from the bible."

Dean said goodbye in a hurry and then hung up, writing the name "Mary" on the line. And then finally he got to take his daughter home.