Chapter 13 - Reconciliation

Severus entered to find Phoenix dressing.  Merlin's Beard!  He'd waited too long to try to reconcile, and now she was leaving.  "Can we talk first?" he asked softly.  He saw her stop, not meeting his eyes, then she finally looked up at him, "I will give you the same consideration you gave me.  If you do not wish me to leave tonight, I will stay."  He slowly approached her, not moving too close.  "I would appreciate that," he said, not sure where to start, but he was relieved she would stay... at least for the night.  He took off his robe, walking to lay it over the chair, and slipped under the cover.  She undressed and did the same, staying on her side of the bed.  "Come to me?  I promise I won't hurt you," he said in a low voice.  He felt the seconds pass like minutes before she scooted over to lay against him, putting her hand on his chest.  He let out a slow breath, the knot in his stomach easing a little.  He moved his arm under her head and gently stroked her hair.  This time, he spoke first, "I'm sorry.  I was unfair to you.  I was so afraid that you would be hurt, or worse, and I couldn't see past my own fear.  I know you are your own person, that you have a passion and purpose of your own, and I will... try... to never force you to change for me, just to ease my fear of losing you."  He spoke softly as he stroked her hair, and he could feel her soften as he spoke.  "Thank you, Severus.  I was unfair too.  I should have at least told you that I would leave.  It would have saved us both a lot of pain.  I don't understand what happened when I apparated.  I've never successfully done so, and it didn't turn out the way I'd expected when I tried to come back.  I really wanted to speak to my friends, and I was glad I did.  They were planning on doing something dangerous, and I told them to wait until they arrived here to do anything.  They will listen to my request, they trust me," she said.  "I trust you too, Phoenix.  But if you had trusted me, maybe we could have worked together.  Or at least I could have let you know about the protective spells.  There are protective spells around Hogwarts.  Now, only entry is blocked, but when school resumes, both entry and exit will be blocked, except for a few, like me, who are allowed free movement.  I'm surprised you were able to breach the barrier at Malfoy Manor.  Perhaps you apparated in when the barrier was lowered for me.  If so, Lucius has become lazy.  He should have only lowered them for me specifically, and he must have just lowered them completely.  He hasn't been the same since his return from Azkaban.  And what happened there anyway?  Was that you who bloodied Alecto's nose?" he said, just enjoying the opportunity to talk to her, their mutual anger faded.  He felt her smile against his chest, "Yes.  Don't worry though, she didn't see me.  I'm sure it would have complicated things if she had."  He heard her sigh, "I see I was wrong, too.  I promise to be more careful in the future.  It's not in my nature, so don't expect me to avoid all danger.  But I also don't want to jeopardize my chance to remain here... with you."  He put his other arm around her and pulled her closer.  It was enough, and they both fell asleep in each other's arms.

Phoenix woke up, and it felt like the middle of the night.  She heard Severus's breathing, and she knew he had awakened as well.  She felt his arm still under her head, and she lifted off of it, not wanting to make it fall asleep again.  "Are you alright?" she heard him ask in a low voice. "Yes, you?" she asked in return.  "Yes, thank you," he replied.  Their reconciliation had made her feel closer to him somehow, as if moving past their hurt and anger had strengthened their love.  She felt maybe even a little more mature.  Maybe she had been a child.  Part of her was still naïve, as she had been forced into adulthood by the unfortunate events of her life.  She would try to find a balance between being her own person, while being a part of Severus's life as well.  She reached up to find his face in the dark with her hand, moving to kiss him tenderly on his lips.  They were really a lot alike, she thought, both of them damaged, and yet facing their life with a passion and a purpose that drove them.  She hadn't expected to have someone beside her in her life, and it felt good to know that he would support her as she would him.  She moved her hand over his chest, feeling his heart beating.  She kissed him over his heart, then moved her hand down to caress the soft hair of his stomach.  He was completely still, but she felt the almost imperceptible quiver of his stomach, and his breathing deepened.  Finally he moved, his hand going into her hair, and she kissed everywhere on his body her hand had touched.  They didn't speak, there were no words needed now.  She slowly kissed down the line of thick hair down his center, and she heard him grunt then moan deeply as she found him with her lips.  He was already hard with his desire for her, and she moved her hand to grasp him, then lowered her mouth onto him.  She felt him move his other hand into her hair, and she coaxed a deep groan from him as she moved her wet mouth up and down on him.  He let out a deep moan, and then pulled her up to him.  She moved over him, crossing over his body with her leg, and then mounted him on his lower stomach.  She could feel him as he reached down under her, and grasped himself, and guided her over him.  He rubbed himself against her to ease his entry, and she lowered herself on him.  She let out her own moan as she felt herself stretch to accept him, and the feeling of him filling her was exquisite. She moved on him slowly, and heard his hard breath as he grabbed her hips, his fingers squeezing into her. She could feel her own desire deepen and she sat up to quicken the pace of their lovemaking, grabbing his wrists tightly. She suddenly felt herself move closer to her climax, and as the sensations became more intense than she could take, she slowed, feeling as if she couldn't bear to move closer. She felt Severus sit up, grabbing the sides of her waist with his hands, and he roughly moved her up and down, grinding into her with each stroke.  It was enough to send her over the edge and she felt herself burst onto him, her orgasm sending waves of pleasure and relief into her. With a low growl, Severus continued slamming her down onto himself, and she cried out as she felt him push deep into her before finding his own release in one last hard thrust. They collapsed together onto the bed, and she laid on his chest, both of them breathing hard. He stroked her hair and her back, whispering to her his love for her, and she felt completely content in his arms.