Chapter 10: Y/N's Father

Natasha's P.O.V

We're making our way to New Jersey when I noticed that I haven't heard a word out of Y/N for about forty five minutes. So I look at the back seat noitce that he's fallen asleep.

I can't say I blame him has been a long couple of days, especially for him as all he wanted to do was relax when getting to D.C.

So given all of that I decided to let him sleep for a bit longer.

I then look over at Steve as I was curious about something.

Natasha: So, where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?

Steve: Nazi Germany.

I nod in response.

Steve: And we're only borrowing so take you feet off the dash.

Doing as he says I remove my feet from the dash.

Natasha: Alright I have to ask you a question, which you don't have to answer. But I feel like if you don't answer you kinda are answering it.

Steve: (Sighs) What's the question?

Natasha: Was that your first kiss since 1945?

Steve: That bad huh?

Natasha: I didn't say that.

Steve: Well, it sounds like you are.

Natasha: No, no I was just curious as to if you've been getting any practice.

Steve: You don't need practice.

Natasha: Everyone needs practice.

Steve: No. It was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm ninety-five, I'm not dead.

Natasha: So, nobody special then?

Steve chuckles at this.

Steve: Well its kinda hard to find someone who has similar life experiences to me.

Natasha: That doesn't matter just make something up.

Steve: What like you?

Natasha: I don't know. Truth is only a matter of circumstance. Its not all things to all people all the time. So neither am I.

Steve: Right. So, is there anyone in your life your completely honest with?

Natasha: Yeah, that person is the teenage in the back.

Steve looks back at my son peacefully asleep in the back.

Steve: Yeah, I guess that makes sense. You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know much about them.

I look at him for a moment.

Natasha: Who do you want me to be?

Steve: How about a friend?

I smile at this question.

Natasha: There's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers.

After a few minutes of comfortable silence Steve asks me something.

Steve: So, when you mentioned the Winter Soldier back at the hospital it seemed to have angered Y/N a bit. It's almost like he knows something I don't.

Natasha: Yeah, I had a feeling he'd react like that.

Steve: Why is that?

A felt a bit of sadness go through my whole body when he asked me that.

Natasha: It's because the Winter Soldier killed his father about six weeks after he was born. So he never knew him.

Steve looked shocked by this.

Steve: Oh my god. Nat, I'm so sorry. I didn't know.

Natasha: It's okay, I think the main reason this angers him so much is because it was really hard for him to grow up without a father, especially when he was in middle school.

Steve: What do you mean?

Natasha: Well, when Y/N was in middle school alot of the bigger kids made fun of him because he didn't have or know his dad. And I think for Y/N the Winter Soldier gives him someone to blame for him going through all that suffering. 

Steve: Yeah, that does make sense. So what was Y/N's father like?

Natasha: He was a good man. Strong, caring, loyal. A soldier like you and, had this amazing smile that could make a girl's heart melt, and that's one the things Y/N got from him. Though as his mother I am slightly bias

Steve laughs at this.

Natasha: But in all seriousness, other than Y/N he was the only person I could be completely open and honest with.

Steve: Well it's good you had someone like that.

Natasha: Yeah, yeah it was.

Steve: What was his name if you don't mind me asking?

I paused for a moment before answering.

Natasha: James, his name was James.

(A/N: I'd like to apologise if the whole Y/N being bullying broughtback any painful memories for any of you. I just added as I thought it would make Y/N's story more compelling. So sorry if I offended any of you.)