Chapter 16: An Overdue Talk

Y/N's P.O.V

After mum gets stiched up and we get Fury out of bed. He tells us about Pierce not accepting a noble peace prize and saying this is why he has trust issues we talk about the plan to take down HYDRA.

He also mentions that the council aren't accepting his calls. Fury then opens up a case that has three targeting blades in it.

Sam: What's that?

Maria then brings up a visual representation of what the helicarriers will do.

Maria: Once the helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they we triangulate with the Insight satellites and become fully weasponised.

Nick Fury: The only way to stop that from happening is to replace their targeting blades with ours.

Maria: It can't just be one or two either. We have to link all three for this to work.

Nick Fury: Once we've taken down all HYDRA agents maybe we'll be about to salvage.

Steve interrupts him.

Steve: We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers. We're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D.

Nick Fury: S.H.I.E.L.D had nothing to do with this.

Steve: No. You gave me this mission this is how it ends. S.H.I.E.L.D has been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew up your nose and no one noticed.

Nick Fury: Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed.

I then joined in.

Y/N: And how many paid the price before you did?

Fury then looks down then looks at me.

Nick Fury: Look I did know about Barnes or his connection to you.

Y/N: Even if you had would you have told me? Would you have told either of us about him?

Steve: Or would you have compartmentalised that too. S.H.I.E.L.D, HYDRA it all goes.

Nick stayed silent after that. Once looks around the room at all of us and realises that we're all with Cap on this.

Nick Fury: Well, looks like you're giving the orders now Captain.

After that conversation mum and I decide to go off and talk somewhere more private.

Natasha: Look, I know finding out about your father the way you did must have been really shocking for you.

Y/N: Well that's putting it mildly.

Natasha: Yeah I know. I just want to start by say I'm so so sorry you had to find out the way you did baby boy. I really am.

Y/N: Wait, so you didn't know about dad being the Winter Soldier?

Natasha: No. No of course not baby. I swear on my life I didn't know.

Mum then went on to explain how six weeks after I was born dad had been kidnapped by a mercenary group, but obviously she now knows it was HYDRA. And that after searching for him for a month she had found him dead washed up on a river bank in Russia. She also said that now she believes it must have been a decoy to get mum to stop searching for dad.

I breath out heavily.

Y/N: Wow. That's a lot to take in.

Natasha: I know, and again I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner.

Y/N: Its okay mum. I get why you didn't tell me. You were trying to protect me. Like you always have.

Mum then reaches out and puts her hand on my cheek.

Natasha: Every decision I made since the day you were born was to protect you.

I then lean over and hug her tight. After pulling away I think for a moment.

Y/N: Alright mum, I need to ask you something and I need you to be 100% honest with me.

Natasha: Of course.

Y/N: Giving everything you told me about dad and, how good of a person he was. Do you think that the good man that you fell in love with and that is my father is still inside that brainwashed monster somewhere?

Without hesitation mum answered.

Natasha: Yes. Yes I do.

Once she said that I knew what I had to do. If I see my dad out there today I had to at least try to break through to him and bring back the Bucky Barnes that is Steve's best friend. The Bucky Barnes that my mum fell in love with and the Bucky Barnes that is my father.

(A Few Moments Later)

I was outside the cave we were set up in. Whilst I was out there I started to think of a way to break through my father's brainwashing. I didn't know what exactly I was gonna do or say.

All I know is that I'm gonna do whatever it takes that get my father back. After everything he's been through he deserves that much.

After a few minutes I see Steve and Sam come up to me out of the corner of my eye. Sam is the first to speak.

Sam: He's gonna be there you know?

Y/N: Yeah, I know.

Sam: Look, whoever he used to be. The guy he is now. I don't think he's the kind of person you save. He's the kind you stop.

I look at the both of them then look back out to the clearing infront of me.

Y/N: I don't know if I can do that Sam.

Sam: Well, he might not give you a choice. You may be his son, but he doesn't know you kid.

Y/N: He will.

Steve then steps closer.

Steve: Y/N's right. We don't give up on him.

After a few minutes of silence.

Steve: Alright, suit up it's time.

Steve starts to walk away.

Sam: You gonna wear that?

Steve: No. If your gonna fight in a war, you got to wear a uniform.

With that we see Steve disappear off to god knows where. Then Sam and I turn back to suit and get Ready for the fight ahead.