Chapter 40: The Truth Comes Out

(Berlin)

Y/N's P.O.V

After being arrested, Steve, Sam and I get sent to Berlin along with my dad and the new King of Wakanda T'challa. And after a long and awkward drive with T'challa saying he's gonna kill my father. We then make it to our destination.

Once we get inside we got out of the van and see Sharon standing there with some guy in a suit.

Steve and I turn around to see dad sitting in a cell.

We turn back and start walking towards Sharon.

Steve: What's gonna happen to him?

???: The same thing that should be happening to you three.

Sharon: Guys, this is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander.

Y/N: What about a lawyer?

Ross looks at me.

E. Ross: That's funny kid. See that their gear is placed in lockup. We'll write a receipt.

(A/N: For Everett Ross dialogue I've put E. Ross just so no gets confused with Thaddeus Ross, just thought I should point that just in case.)

We watch them take our suits and gear away.

Sam: I better not look out the window and see someone flying around in that.

We start walking down a hallway.

E. Ross: We're giving you guys an office instead of a cell. So do me a favour a stay in it.

T'challa: I don't plan on going anywhere.

As we continue to walk down the hallway we see mum coming towards us. She then turns and walks next to me.

Natasha: See, this is what making things worse looks like.

Y/N: At least dad's alive, that's all I care about right now.

We then walk into to the main area and see Tony talking on the phone and he mentions something about consequences.

Tony then walks over to us.

Y/N: "Consequences?"

Tony: Secretary Ross wants the three of you prosecuted.

Steve: I'm not getting that shield back am I?

Mum and Tony start walking away.

Natasha: Technically it's the government's property now. Wings and web shooters too.

Sam: Oh that's cold.

Tony: Warmer than jail.

(One hour later)

After an hour of sitting in that office mum calls me out to go and talk to her in private.

I walk into another office and she comes over and hugs me.

Natasha: Hey baby boy, are okay?

Y/N: Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just worried about dying from boredom.

She laughs.

Natasha: Okay, good. Now there's something I need you to do for me

I'm slightly confused by this.

Y/N: Okay, what is it?

She walks over to the desk and pulls out the Sokovia Accords document and a pen.

Natasha: Y/N, I need you to sign this.

I shake my head.

Y/N: Of course you do. Well, it's not gonna happen.

She puts the document and pen down.

Natasha: Why not?

Y/N: You know exactly why. Like I said to Tony you may be conformable being the government's bitch, but I'm not.

Mum sits in the chair and growls, clearly annoyed by my stubbornness.

Natasha: God. Why do you have to be so damn stubborn?

Y/N: (Sarcastically) Yeah, I wonder who I get that from?

After a moment of silence I speak again.

Y/N: Look, I don't mean to be difficult, but I'm not gonna sign away my free will to a government who just sees me as an expendable freak. Because that's all we are to them mum, expendable. They don't care about us, we're just tools to them, and once we've out lived our usefulness they'll throw us out.

I breathe in heavily.

Y/N: I just hope you figure that out before they throw you out.

I get up and walk to the door but stop.

Y/N: I'm sorry mum, I love you so much, but I can't do this. I hope you understand.

Natasha: I do.

I nod and walk out of the room.

Natasha P.O.V

As I watch Y/N leave the room I start thinking that he might be right. Maybe the government does see us as expendable, but who knows. I just hope he's wrong and I also hope I don't lose him because he's the one thing I could never lose.

Y/N's P.O.V

As I'm walking back to the office to join Sam and Steve I feel Wanda's presence nearby. When I stop I hear her voice in my head, which doesn't surprise me that much anymore as our connection allows us to do this.

Wanda: Y/N are you there? Can you here me?

I go and stand in a corner to talk to her.

Y/N: Yeah Wanda I hear you, what's up?

Wanda: You need to turn on the news now, any channel.

Y/N: What, why?

Wanda: You'll find out, so go and do it.

Y/N: Okay, okay.

I break the connection and walk into the office.

I walk over to the TV and flick through the channels.

Sam: What are you doing?

Y/N: You'll find out.

I find a news channel and stop seeing two news reporters talking with an image of myself and my dad side by side.

News Reporter #1: All of the evidence we have received from this anonymous source confirms it. Our very own Avenger the Scarlet Spider a.k.a Y/N Y/M/N James Romanoff is the biological son of James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier.

My eyes widen as now the whole world knows that I'm the son of the Winter Soldier.

News Reporter #1: This information must have been kept under wraps by the family to avoid tarnishing the Scarlet Spider's heroic career.

News Reporter #2: I've gotta say, at first I didn't buy it. But if we put pictures of the two side by side you can see that there is definitely a resemblance.

As the reporters keep talking I see Steve walk over and turn the T.V off.

Steve: I can't believe it. How did this happen?

Y/N: I don't know.

I then look around and see everyone on the outside of the office looking at mum and I with looks of shock, surprise and some slightly angry, especially T'challa.

I didn't know what to do so I sat down and tried to process everything. Who knows what this meant for me going forward.