Chapter 38: Team Debate

Y/N's P.O.V

After Ross leaves we all go to the living room and debate what to do about the accords.

Rhodey: Secretary Ross a metal of honour, which is one more than you have.

Sam: So let's say we agree to this. How long we got before they start LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?

Rhodey: Hundred and seventeen countries what to sign this. Hundred and seventeen Sam, and you just like "No, that's cool. Wo got it."

I then decide to speak up.

Y/N: Alright, Rhodey I've gotta ask, how long are you gonna keep playing both sides for?

He was about to reply when Vision speaks up.

Vision: I have an equation.

Sam: Oh, well this'll clear it up.

Vision goes on to explain how the strength and enhanced abilities we have invites challege from other people and that brings conflict which brings catastrophe.

Rhodey: Boom.

Sam and I shake our heads.

Natasha: Tony, you're being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal.

Steve: It's because he's already made up his mind.

Tony: Oh, you know me so well. I'm actually nursing a headache. That's all it is Cap, pain and discomfort.

Tony goes up to get a cup of coffee then he pulls put his phone and shows us an image of a young guy.

Tony: Oh, that's Charles Spencer by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA and had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn’t go to Vegas or Amsterdam like I would have. No he decided to spend his summer building housing for people in Sokovia.

We all look down realising that Charles Spencer was there the day we fought Ultron.

Tony: I guess he wanted to make a difference, but I guess we'll never know as we dropped a building on him whilst we were kicking ass.

Tony then moves towards us.

Tony: We need to be put in check and whatever form that takes I'm game. If we can accept limitations, if we're boundary-less than we're no better than the bad guys.

Steve: Tony, if someone dies on your watch you don't give up.

Tony: Who says we're giving up?

Steve: We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame.

Rhodey: I'm sorry Steve, but that's dangerously arrogant. This the UN we're talking about it's not S.H.I.E.L.D, it's not HYDRA.

I then look to Rhodey.

Y/N: Yeah, but Rhodey, this thing, this document its run by people with agendas and agendas can always change.

Tony then walks closer.

Tony: That's good. When I found out what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing.

I look to Tony.

Y/N: But Tony you chose to do that. We sign this we surrender our right to choose.

Steve looks to me then back to Tony.

Steve: Y/N's right. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't wanna go? What if there's somewhere we need to go and they don't let us? We may not be perfect but the safest hands are still our own.