Daddy's Voice (Rikey)

Mikey's eyes fluttered open when he heard Ray's soft voice fill his eardrums. He quietly groaned and opened his eyes. He looked down at his baby bump and noticed there was a large hand on top of it. When he turned to his side he saw Ray sitting up with a book in one hand while his other one rested on the baby bump.

"Ray?" Mikey called out to his husband.

Ray stopped and looked to his husband. "What's wrong, babe? Is she kicking too hard?"

"Huh? Oh no...I was just..." Mikey sat up the best he could. Once he got further into his pregnancy, He noticed the lower back pain that he developed. It sucked, but Ray was always offering to rub his back if he asked. Ray was such a wonderful husband. "I was surprised to see you reading to the baby."

Ray blinked a bit like he forgot what he was doing moment before. He looked down at the book he held in his hand and laughed. "Yeah. I thought she would like to hear a story."

"She isn't kicking right now, I think she's still asleep or just calm." Mikey placed one of his hands on his baby bump. "She loves hearing your voice, I think."

Ray rolled his eyes. "She loves your voice too, babe."

"No, I mean.." Mikey placed his hand on top of Ray's that was on the baby bump. "I think she's soothed by your voice. When she kicks crazy, you're able to convince her to stop."

"You think so?" Ray arched an eyebrow with a little smile. Mikey nodded.

"Just wait until she's born and we stop her from crying. Your singing is probably going lull her to sleep." Mikey assured his husband. "I can't wait until she arrives."

Ray tilted his head. "Is your back giving you trouble again?"

Mikey noticed at this moment that answer was a no. However, he would probably be feeling the lower back pain soon enough. "No, not right now."

"Good." Ray mumbled before looking back down at the book in his hand.

It took Mikey a moment to realize what Ray was reading to their baby. The familiar, colorful comic book brought a smile to his face.

"You're reading the Killjoys to her?" Good choice, Mikey thought. Their baby girl should get used to the idea that her parents were nerds that loved comics. Mikey awed at the idea of letting his daughter read from his precious comic collection. He couldn't wait until she started speaking, especially when she mutters her first word.

Ray chuckled. "Well, I thought it was best to expose her to awesome reading material."

"Gotta get her into Doom Patrol." Mikey promised. Wasn't it awesome that once you had a child you got to expose to the amazing stuff you are into?

Ray suggested. "The Umbrella Academy and a bunch of DC comics." He turned the next page of the comic, having to remove his hand from the Mikey's baby bump. "Think about all the music she's going to be listening to!"

"We have such awesome taste." Mikey reminisced the day he met Ray. While they were getting to know each other they went through all the bands they loved such as Black Flag, The Misfits, Joy Division, Anthrax and so much more.

Ray wondered. "Should we teach her to love music as much as we do too?"

"Do you think she'd prefer the bass or guitar?" Mikey asked. He too wondered which their baby girl would prefer if she would even want to learn how to play an instrument.

Ray sighed. "Watch her decide neither and go with a whole different instrument like the keyboard or drums." It would be funny indeed.

"I'm just waiting for the moment when we can meet her." Mikey muttered with an ounce of sadness. He should be due at any moment. Ray and he were so excited to welcome their daughter into the world and he might be getting a bit impatient. Mikey pouted and eyed the baby bump. "Please, be born soon, sweetie."