The Bus (Rikey)

"I'll be back soon, okay Gee?" Mikey said, putting a grey beanie over his messy brown hair.

"Let me go for you, i can do it-"

"No you cant. You need sleep."

"You do too Mikey, you're putting too much pressure on yourself."

Mikey shook his head, "I won't be long, i'll get your medicine."

Before his older brother could get another word in, Mikey had already left. He was a little over thirty weeks pregnant, he was tired and all he wanted to do was rest. But he couldn't. With no boyfriend to go to work or take care of him, and his brother sick, he had to do everything.

He hadn't any idea why Pete couldn't stay and help Mikey, he left him with a baby to raise and to look after his sick older brother. Mikey was already looking after Gerard when he got pregnant, and they were struggling badly for money. Some nights, they had to share their food, other nights, they had to sleep in the same bed to keep each other warm. Gerards medical bills didn't make the situation any easier.

Mikey walked the few minutes to the bus stop, noticing that no seat was available on the bench. It was taken up by a man with brown curly hair, and an elderly woman. Damn, he really wanted to sit down and rest his ankles.

The man eventually looked up at saw Mikey leaning against the pole, his free hand on his belly.

"Excuse me?" The man spoke up, "Do you wanna sit down?"

"I don't want to be a bother." Mikey smiled, shaking his head a little. The man stood up and pointed down at the seat.

"You're not bothering me. Go ahead and sit."

Mikey gently lowered himself onto the bench, sighing with relief and closing his eyes. His two hands rested on his baby bump, occasionally feeling the odd kick from his little girl.

"Thanks." He sighed. The man just shrugged.

"Don't worry about it. How far along are you?"

"Little over 30 weeks."

The man grimaced a little. "Thirty? What are you doing out, in Doc Martens? Aren't those killing your feet? And its so cold out!" Mikey just shrugged.

All he needed to do was head into town, he didn't think he'd be out very long. He just had to pick up Gerards pills from the pharmacy, maybe grab a bite to eat and go thrift shopping. They relied on thrift stores, since they couldn't really afford very much. With Gerard out of work due to sickness, and Mikey on maternity leave, they didn't have very much money coming in.

"I'm just picking up some stuff." He responded.

"Ah. Finding it tough? The pregnancy?"

He shrugged again, "A little."

"You'll manage. Boy or girl? Oh, fuck! That's so rude of me, my name is Ray."

"Thats a nice name. I'm Michael, but you can call me Mikey. And its a girl, i can't decide on her name just yet, either. Rowan or Louise."

"They're sweet names. What about your family? Do you have a husband?"

Mikey shrugged and shook his head. Ray felt a strong sense of guilt. Ray wasn't married, either. He had been in a few relationships that didn't work out, he just couldn't find the right one.

"No. Its just me and my brother, he's sick."

Rays face softened. "Sick? How?"

"He-He has cancer...I gotta take care of him. Its a little stressful."

"Wow...I-I'm so sorry Mikey. That sounds awful."

Mikey didn't really know how to act. He didn't get out very much, since Gerard needed a lot of care and attention. Mikey spent a lot of time by Gerards bedside, making sure he was comfortable and helping him sleep.

Mikey smiled a little, feeling his little girl moving around. It wasn't like he was mad that he got pregnant, especially when he was in such horrible debt. He was mostly angry at his ex boyfriend for leaving him, knowing Gerards medical bills, buying baby clothes and everything else he'd need for having a baby, would leave Mikey neck deep in bills.

"Its gonna be fine. He'll get better."

"Yeah. Things will get better over time."

"I just...I'm in so much debt...I haven't even bought a crib for my daughter...We-Gerard said...we should buy a thrifted one...All of her clothes are from thrift stores.." Ray saw how upset this was making Mikey. His life sounded awful.

"What about the baby's dad? Does he not help?"

"No...I told him i was pregnant and the next morning he just left...didn't say a word."

Mikey saw the bus coming towards the stop. Ray bent over to pick up his own backpack, and noticed the heavy looking one of Mikeys back.

"Let me take your bag. You're going to hurt yourself."

Mikey didn't refuse. His back was aching, his feet were aching, he just wanted to get home already and sleep. Ever since Frank left Gerard for the army, Gerard got sick and Mikey got pregnant, Mikey had to rush around to work till he physically couldn't anymore, look after his sick brother and run to town every week for medicine, and prepare for the baby's arrival. He was exhausted, but he knew he couldn't leave his brother to deal with cancer alone.

"Come on Mikey, bus is here." Ray smiled, taking Mikeys hands and helping him up onto his feet.

Mikey took a seat by the window, Ray sat down next to him. Mikey stared out of the window, he got travel sick quite a lot on the bus, and his morning sickness didn't help. His morning sickness didn't go away, and he was far into his pregnancy by now. He just wanted to have the baby and be able to go back to work.

"Do you want me to go with you? I mean, in town?" Ray asked. Mikey nodded slightly, it would be nice to not have to carry around a backpack all day.

"Do you know where a thrift store is around here?"

"I do! I'll show you to it."

-

Mikey came home after a long day. Gerard was napping on the sofa, with the TV playing quietly and a comic book on the floor. He had bought some clothes for the baby, some bigger clothes for himself, and Gerards pills. What he didn't expect to see in his backpack was a little note from Ray.

I left my number on the other side of this note. Call me, i'd love to meet you again soon ;)