Chapter 19

What is a canine supposed to do when they're at the verge of death..?

What is a feline supposed to do when they're at the verge of death..?

What is a mix, a hybrid, supposed to do when they're at the verge of death..?

"Well, write these questions down in your notebooks and tell me when you're done." Melon said as he pointed at the chalkboard with his finger after placing down the chalk.

I slowly wrote down the questions on the board as I though about what had happened yesterday when I hung out with Bill and Aoba. Let me tell you.. it was traumatizing.

(Yesterday)

I checked my phone once again as I headed back to the dorms and saw a text message from Bill, saying, 'Are you fine with the black market later on tonight? Like around 9? If you're uncomfortable we can go somewhere else.'

I thought about how to reply to that text. I mean I haven't talked to him in ages. Maybe I should just keep it casual.

'Sounds great. 9 it is then.' I typed out with a smile on my face. Send.

After entering my room, I placed my bag on my bed and saw that it was 6:27 pm.

....

That's not important. After Bill, Aoba and I went our seperate ways after catching up with everything, I decided to hang around the black alley a bit more.

I didn't intend on going near Melon nor the Shishigumi at all tonight. I wasn't really in the mood to die just yet.

As I wondered around the dark market, I found myself in a dark alley. The same alley where I almost died from a bullet to my head. This place brought back memories. Obviously not good ones.

As I started heading out I was met by a frightened and trembling badger. He was running for his life. His arm was bleeding and he said, "Help!" with visible terror in his voice. And before I could reach him and ask how I could help he started falling, as blood dripped down his mouth before he hit the ground.

I ran over to him and dropped down on my knees trying to help but saw a bullet hole planted on the back of his head. I jumped back in terror myself, backing away from the body. When I looked up I saw a slender sillouete approaching us.

I tried crying out for help but my mouth was sealed shut by my own fear, and trembling hands. I kept backing up and shaking as this mysterious body kept getting closer.

The gun was pointed at my head. Then realization hit me, Melon!?

I got up and ran up to the figure and hugged it tightly. "Stop!" I demanded into his ear. He didn't flinch and I started dropping down as my feet started giving up. As I sat down on my knees crying, I held tightly onto Melon's shirt.

"Stop! Stop! Stop!" I repeated over and over again. "What do I do!?" I asked demandingly.

I felt his body slowly back up as he was trying to leave but my grip on his shirt tightened, not willing to let him go just yet.

"Tell me! What do I do now! I just witnessed a murder! But you happen to be my friend! A fellow hybrid! What am I supposed to do now!!! Tell me you bastar-" and before I could finish my sentence I was cut off by Melon coldly say, "Go tell the police before I kill you." as if this meant nothing.

I gave him a look of disbelief and said, "You... can you get even more heartless?"

I was mad! I should've expected this, I tried accepting it, but seeing him murder in front of my eyes was too much. I knew he was heartless, but I didn't want to accept it. I wanted to believe that he was changing. I knew that he wasn't a teacher. I knew he was a criminal, a murderer, but I didn't know... I knew it all...

(Present)

The bell rung, excusing us from class and I started packing my things up. I'd never been this eager to leave class. I wanted nothing more than to leave this room.

"One last thing before you all go." Melon announced, "There has been a murder in the black market as you guys probably saw on the news. So please be on the watch, whether you're a carnivore or herbivore. As a teacher, I worry about my dear students' well being." He calmly stated. A genuine and worried smile on his face.

I was disgusted by how calm he was towards this situation. His manipulative nature. It was... passing me off. It scared me...

Everthing went back to how they were in the start. I avoided him. I was back to being scared of him. All these months of building up our relationship went down the drain.