Chapter 24

"We're not going to help save Melon." Dolph said at last. I stopped my yawn midway and snapped at him.

"What do you mean!? He's your boss!" I exclaimed.

"We'll replace him with Louis." Dolph said calmly.

"But-" Free cut me off and said, "As much as I love women, this one is a no."

I ignored his comment and said, "Please! I.. I'll do anything! I'm serious! Anything you ask of. I'll do it."

"Dolph-san, maybe we should help her." Agata suggested, taking my side. "Boss seems to be important to her."

I agreed with him and Free said, "It almost looks like you like our boss."

I'm not telling them. I didn't confirm or deny Free's statement, which made him speculate things even more. "Mmm, so it is true." He said, a bit disgusted.

"He's a cold hearted killer." Dolph stated. I didn't say anything to that. Of course I knew that. That was the exact reason to why he was in jail right now.

"I don't care. Please." I said desperately, my voice cracking a bit. It was at least 3 in the morning right now. Another yawn escaped my lips and I stood up.

"Where are you going." Dolph asked seriously.

I silently stayed still for a couple seconds, trying to recollect my thoughts before saying, "I'm going home..." and started heading towards the exit. No one stopped me.

I felt tears slowly start swelling up in my eyes as I left the Shishigumi building. There was no hope. What was I thinking?

I wiped my tears and walked through the dark and cold night.

Tears slowly streamed down my face and I suddenly broke down and started weeping. The reason, I didn't know. I just wept for everything. For myself, for Melon.

"A-Are you alright?" Agata's voice called out as he got closer and placed a hand on my shoulder. I quickly wiped my tears and ignoring him, I ran off into the almost empty road.

(The next day)

"Here's the 1000 dollars." I mumbled. Yafya looked at the envelope in my hands and slowly took it and opened it up.

He pulled out the bills and started counting every 100 dollars one by one before placing them on the table and saying, "Thank you."

I nodded and bowed down before heading to the door and stopping when I decided to ask him something.

"I need to ask you something." I started. Yafya turned his attention to me and waited for me to continue.

"It's about Melon." He didn't react and I said, "Can I have a talk with him?"

Yafya silently stood up and gestured me to follow him and so I did.

We walked down the hall into a very cold basement and he opened a grey metal door, but I stopped him, grabbing onto the back of his vest. He turned to me and I said, "I just wanna call."

Without questioning, he led me to another room with cellphones installed on the walls. He walked me over to one of the phone's and dialed Melon's cell number.

The phone rang for a while and I was sure that no one would pick up and right before I put it back, I heard Melon's voice.

"Who might be calling me." Melon sang happily.

"Melon..." I hesitantly said. It was really awkward. I just wanted to make sure he was fine. I didn't really wanna face him.

"Hmm, Y/n. Glad to hear from you." He said through the phone. I couldn't make out his tone. It was a mixture of, I'd say satisfaction and murderous intent.

What was I supposed say now? I stayed silent close to hanging up but Melon said, "I've been wondering..." catching my attention.

"Yes?"

"Did you interact with the Shishigumi."

"Yeah... yesterday." I said. Why did he need that information.?

"Okay!" He innocently stated.

"Melon, if you need anything tell me." I said before he could hung up.

He let out a hum and thought about his request before saying, "Well the food here tastes like sand."

It took me a while to realize what he meant by that, and it left me a bit upset. There was nothing I could do.

"I'll bring some cake next time." I said with a sigh before hanging up myself, before he could say anything else.

"If that's it, you may take your leave." Yafya said, as he started heading to the exit of the building, I assume.

I quietly followed suit, falling a couple steps back. "Yafya, how's Legoshi?" I asked out of the blue.

He turned to me and said, "He's fine." bluntly. I nodded to myself and kept walking behind this tall, black horse.