Chapter 37

Back to your POV

I walked out of the room again and tried looking for whoever could help me. It was already 2 pm and Melon hasn't come back yet.

The Shishigumi didn't seem to be in the house, so that would mean that Melon was out too? But why didn't he visit me?

I opened every door at the hideout, trying to find someone or something. Every room so far was empty. Where could Melon have been? He didn't visit me. I felt like he no longer needed me.

He took my phone last night which meant I had no access to anything.

There was one last room left. It was located in the furthest and coldest corner of the building. I prayed to myself and a loud breath escaped my lips as I turned the handle and slowly opened the door.

A familiar smell started filling the air as I opened the door and saw Melon curled up into a ball in a circular bed. I looked down and saw trails of blood.

The fact that there was scary, and it did frighten me thinking that Melon got hurt, but when I realized it wasn't his blood, my heart dropped. The smell of gazelle was in the air, and so was the smell of a carnivore. A very familiar carnivore.

Before I could go deeper into it, I heard whimpers coming from Melon. He was having a nightmare again. It was a surprise seeing him in bed so late in the day.

I walked over to him and gently sat down on his bed and started stroking his fur. He didn't seem to be calming down. I laid down next to him and looked at his sleeping form.

I was wrong last time... even when he's asleep, he expressed his emotions. He was sad, but mad. He was in constant pain.

The same words came out of Melon's mouth-- ma ma.

"Melon. I'm here. Everything's fine now. It's just a dream. Don't worry about anything." I whispered, as I moved closer to his sleeping form. He seemed so distressed, yet somehow, his face expression softened.

I rested a hand on his ear and started stroking the short fur on it.

"Everything's fine now. No one's here. Don't worry about anyone or thing." I said reassuringly.

He stopped whimpering and his face relaxed, but I noticed that his right side grew a couple more leopard spots under his eye.

I gently moved my head over to his face and planted a small and short kiss on his cheek before retracting immediately and heating up.

Melon was still deep asleep. I turned around and hid my face in my hands and tried my best not to lose it. It was my first time kissing Melon. I heard shuffling from behind me and when I turned around, I met Melon's eyes.

Before I could make a sound, his lips met mine. I felt my heart sink. There was a lump in my throat preventing me from doing anything.

A sigh escaped Melon's lips when he broke the kiss. He looked down at his bloody bed and the beige carpet which was now stained in red.

He didn't say a word and neither did I. It wasn't necessarily awkward, it was just... quiet, and nothing else.

He got up and right after he dropped onto his knees. I quickly jumped in to help him.

"Melon? What happened? Are you alright?" I asked as I helped him get back up and keep balance.

He smiled and said, "That was my first kiss." My face turned red as I tried my best not to do anything stupid.

I felt my tail start wagging at the thought of me being Melon's first kiss.

"You're too exited over nothing." Melon said as we walked out of his room. He was limping.

"You remind me of my old friend." I said before asking, "You still didn't tell me what this is all about."

He didn't say anything. I turned back to his bed before closing the door and saw a gun and a phone lying near his pillow.

"Don't tell me..." I shakily asked, realizing what was actually going on. The smell of carnivore blood. The limping. Everything.

Melon didn't answer. Instead his face turned cold. We kept walking down the halls. Melon left a track of dried and almost clumpy blood as he walked. I stayed silent not knowing what to do.

"You can leave me here." He said, pointing at he door ahead of us. I nodded and he opened the door, revealing a bathroom. 

"You can use the restroom after me. I'm guessing you still have to go to school." Melon said before limping in, and closing the door.