Helping out a friend

November 2018

I finish work early one afternoon and decide to swing by Johnny's as I haven't seen him around the hospital since Miguel got discharged and his phone is just constantly going to voicemail, Dutch is right I need to reach out to him he is one of my oldest friends after all.  

I know Bobby had seen him when he came and made a scene at his church and then he hasnt seen him since he didnt show up to visit Robbie in Juvie. The whole thing is just screwed so I know I have to reach out to him.

I bang on his door and he answers after a beat and genuinely looks happy to see me, he looks ok better than I thought he would.

"Hey handsome, how are you doing? I've missed you. And do you ever answer your phone?" I say as he pulls me into a hug.

"Hey Nessa, ah its good to see you. Come in, make yourself comfortable." I walk in and see the apartment is a bit scruffy, pizza boxes and beer bottle and caps everywhere.

"I would offer you a drink but I dont think I've got anything."

"That's why Im here I thought as much, I've brought you some groceries, come and help me get the bags out of the car."

"Nessa i dont need your charity." He says shaking his head.

"Hey I'm offended this isnt charity it's a friend looking out for another friend, I love you Johnny Lawrence we all do, and i want to make sure that you are ok, plus Dutch told me that I had to or else he would be pissed at me." I laugh.

"I appreciate it, it's nice that you guys still care." 

I give him a sad smile and I know that's Johnny's problem he thinks that everyone has abandoned him and no one gives a shit.

He goes to get dressed properly and freshened up while I start restocking his fridge and freezer and then start to clean up things with the products I've brought. There is a knock at the front door, I go to open it and see the pretty latino I recognise from the hospital, ah this must be Carmen.

She looks taken back as she sees a woman standing in Johnny's apartment. "Hey, I'm Vanessa, you're Miguel's mother arent you? Come in let me just shout Johnny he is just in the bathroom."

"Hey Vanessa, yeah I am, wait you're a Dr from the hospital arent you? Ugh it's fine it's clearly a bad time." 

A look flashes across her face and I see shes taking this the wrong way, she thinks Johnny has hooked up with a Dr from the hospital when he was supposed to be visiting Miguel.

"Oh no, no it's not like that me and Johnny have been friends since we were 17, I'm married to one of his best friends. I'm just checking on him as I knew that he wasnt taking care of himself. Please come in and I'll grab you a drink while you wait for him."

She smiles and comes in, still not looking any less awkward.

"Wow it smells of cleaning products in here and are you actually able to make a drink other than beer." She says laughing.

"Yep I've stocked up his cupboards and fridge so please tell him that he needs to eat the fresh produce and not live out of takeaway boxes." I say as I hear Johnny come into the room.