Chapter 3.

I was sitting while drinking my Coke, I liked this little coffee shop and it was close to home and mom's work, just perfect.

As I saw my mom walk into the coffee shop I raised a hand for her to see me, she quickly smiled at me and I finally felt safe.

"Hey Baby, how was the first day of school?" She asked as she sat down and seeing my face she grimaced "how bad was it?"

"Horrible mom, I hadn't even been at school 10 minutes when they were already sending me to the janitor's house with cheating, then I have to catch up with all my classes and everyone at school is an idiot" I sighed sipping more of my soda "I asked for help on the notes and this kid started hitting on me, I didn't understand him so he started calling me 'Mary' I don't understand why."

My mom raised an eyebrow "they really keep doing that?" she looked at me tenderly just like Sharonda when I asked her why the nickname "it's Mary like the Virgin Mary, baby. So they think you're very..." apparently my mom was looking for the right words "tender, innocent" she said as she took a sip of her soda that I had asked for "so school full of idiots? Not a single friend?"

"Yes, this girl Sharonda saved me twice and at the end she said we could be friends...only she is not in my classes" I made a little grimace "she told me to call her at night to talk" I said more cheerful, at least I had a friend.

"That's good baby, not everything is negative" she looked at me carefully for a few seconds "I know those little eyes, there is something else so come on, say it".

Damn, she really knew me well.

"Ok!" I said more excited "Sharonda is dating this guy named DeShaun and she introduced him to me when we left school. When we got to where he was waiting for her, she was with this guy who I don't know his name yet but I finally felt it mom" I looked into her eyes smiling "I felt that thing that the books say when you see someone you like".

"Oh my baby, did you like this boy then?" she looked at me amused.

"I thought he was cute, I plan to ask Sharonda about him later" I watched as they brought us our food which I also ordered when I arrived, the advantages of knowing your mom very well is that you know what to order for her.

We started to eat while now she was telling me about her job, unlike me she had done great, everyone loved her and she even refused to go eat with them because she came to tell me.
After lunch mom had to go back to work so I walked home as it was not too far.
My day consisted of doing homework, trying to catch up without notes since I hadn't been able to get them but I did what I could. My mom got home around 6 and after watching TV for a while I decided to call Sharonda.
After three rings someone answered.

"Yes?" was heard from the other side of the line.

"Hi good evening, is Sharonda there?" I bit my lip nervously as I lay face down on my bed waiting. I listened as the lady yelled "Sharonda phone" and seconds later I heard Sharonda's voice.

"Hey!" I greeted as I heard the door close, I guess the door to her room.

"Hi Sharonda, it's Rory."

Without further ado we started a small talk that got longer and longer as we got to know each other or talked about anything.
When I felt we had been on the phone for hours and I felt a little more confident I finally dared to ask.

"So this guy that was with DeShaun.." I tried to sound disinterested "does he have a name?"

"Oh girl no!" he said quickly "with any man from Detroit but not Marshall fucking Mathers."

'Marshall Mathers'..he had a nice name.

"Why? What's wrong with it?" I mumbled blushing as I made figures on a sheet with a pen "it's very cute"

"No doubt I have to take care of you a lot" I heard as I sighed "don't take this the wrong way, I don't hate Marshall but the guy has a lot of problems at home, he's kind of weird and the most important thing is that he's been with his girlfriend for years. They have the typical break up and then get back together relationship."

Of course he would have a girlfriend, why wouldn't a guy like him?

"Ah, well it was obvious he would have a girlfriend" I said somewhat discouraged and now lay on my back to look at the ceiling. "She must be beautiful"

"Oh honey I'm sure if you make a move on Marshall he won't say no, you're gorgeous Rory and the idiot is single at the moment" she said confidently "but you also come across as a very sweet girl and I don't want you to end up getting hurt by getting caught up in Marshall and Kim's weird relationship".

"You're right, I don't want any trouble and especially not when I just moved here" I sighed still having 'Marshall' on my mind.

"Totally, especially since Kim is the kind of crazy bitch that if she finds out Marshall had a thing with you, she'll come after you and tear you apart" she assured "trust me honey, Marshall isn't worth all the trouble it would bring you to try something. Especially when it wouldn't be serious for him, that idiot is crazy about Kim."
.
.

It was 2:00 a.m. when I entered my mom's room and now I was the one who lay down next to her, letting out a sigh.

"Do you want to tell me?" Mom asked with her eyes closed as she reached out her hand to take mine.

"I asked Sharonda about the boy..his name is Marshall but apparently he has a girlfriend and has been with her for years" I looked at the ceiling of my mom's room.

"Oh honey I'm sorry, but you just met him and just as it happened with him someone else will come along" she looked at me "it was good that you found out now before you get your hopes up any bigger".

"Yeah, you're right" I sighed and without further ado I settled in giving my mom to understand that I would sleep there so she just hugged me.
After a while mom was asleep but I was still thinking about Marshall, I didn't know why if I had barely seen the boy and we barely crossed words but there was something about him that caught my attention but I would listen to Sharonda, I was new in Detroit and I didn't want to get in trouble with Marshall's girlfriend, Kim.