3.

"Thank you for letting me interrupt your surgery Dr. Bailey." I mumbled through my mask. The woman was small, but she looked mean and I wanted to get on her good side "This bleed needed to be taken care of quickly."

"I know." She scoffed "It's not uncommon practice to have two surgeries at once."

"I know," I nodded "I just wanted to show the courtesy of thanks."

She threw me a look that made me feel stupid. God her interns must hate her, well if she had interns still. I let out a nervous exhale as I went back to my surgery.

"So this place making you nervous already?"

"Not really." I answered honestly, just her.

"Well you'll fit in quickly I'm sure. The chief seems confident of your abilities."

"He's too kind."

"He's a child that doesn't want to go to bed on Christmas eve."

"Dr. Bailey?" I frowned, I wasn't sure if she was trying to tell me something Chief related or Christmas related. Maybe that was the lingo around here, I should probably pick it up quickly.

"The Chief is happy to have you here." Bailey mumbled "He won't shut up about it. Most doctors need to earn their reputation around here, earn their respect. But if you're as good as you say he is, well...if you need to know anything ask me. I know all and see all."

"How do I know you won't tell me the wrong thing on purpose to trick me?" I joked. She didn't look amused.

"I am DOCTOR Bailey." She muttered "Stupid man with stupidly perfect hair trying to tell me I'm a liar."

"Not a liar." I defended, damn this girl was hardcore, maybe a little too hard "Just making a joke, do people in Seattle not joke?"

"Is that a question?"

"Yes." I sighed "And I trust you to give me the correct answer."

"People joke." She said, then glanced narrowly at me.

She went back to her surgery and I went back to mine feeling like a complete lame-ass. I felt a warm chill rush down my spine, it was odd, I'd never felt it before. But I guess it's what people might feel when they get themselves in trouble, it's their body's way of telling them to stop and turn around. For some reason I just so happened to look up and glance at the gallery, my heart stopped. There she was again, leaning against the glass as she watched the surgery with the intent of an intern. Her eyes flashed to mine for a second and they wrinkled at the corners with a soft smile.

"Actually I do have a question." I said, if Bailey did in fact know and see all she would answer my dying question.

"Ok." She nodded.

"Who is that woman up there in the gallery?" I asked "The one leaning against the glass."

"Dr. Shepherd I offered to help you around the hospital, not with your night-life."

"I just wanted to know who she was." I defended "I've seen her but never long enough to catch her name."

Bailey shot me a hard look before sighing heavily and looking up into the gallery. "Dr. Ley?"

"Is that her name?" I smiled and looked up. The sinking feeling was back, I was sure my abdominal organs would be mush by the time I finally met her, she was gone again. "Oh not that one...well I guess she left."

"Then I guess I can't help you." Bailey mumbled "Next time try to keep your questions to hospital relation."

"I will." I nodded "It's just I keep seeing her...she's skinny, about five-seven and has honey blonde hair and green eyes, porcelain skin... you know who I'm talking about?"
Bailey slowly rose her eyes, not in an angry way...well almost in a creepy way. Her and the resident assisting her, Dr. Yang shared a wary glance before she turned to look at me.

"No Dr. Shepherd." Bailey muttered, the anger was back, or maybe it was irritation, it was hard to tell the difference with her "I don't know who you're talking about."

"Oh, well maybe she's on a different service. I thought surely it was surgery."

"There's no one here." Dr. Yang blurted "No one here like that."

Something in Dr. Yang's eyes told me I better not push it. I nodded a gesture of appreciation before going back to my surgery. I glanced back up in the gallery, it was still void of her presence. Why did that feel sad to me? Why did I care?