36.

It was just the break of dawn when I was woken up. And I had only been asleep for a couple of hours but I could see light just barely starting to break across the horizon out the window. We were in a little trailer on a piece of land that Derek had just bought. It was cozy but nowhere I'd want to stake a permanent claim in, eventually we'd probably outgrow it.

I felt the blanket pull down and his lips trail across my bare back. I smiled into my pillow and tried to pretend to still be sleeping but my body betrayed me with a moan. His smiled against my skin as he continued to leave a heated trail of kisses down my spine.

"Let's build a house." He mumbled.

I giggled, he'd been mentioning things about the future between rounds all night "One day at a time."

"I know." He said with another kiss "I just want it to be one day at a time moving forward."

"You're forgetting I'm newly divorced." I smiled as I rolled over to face him, his eyes darkened at the sight of my bare chest "And we just barely started dating."

"I want more." He confessed honestly.

"So do I." I smiled "In due time."

"Are there rules?" he asked as he leaned in and kissed my lips "Is there a time table?"

"Not necessarily." I giggled against his lips "But I think twenty-four hours between getting divorced and getting remarried would be a little too much."

His face broke out into a grin "I never said anything about marriage."

"You were thinking it." I giggled, he wasn't fooling me.

"Are you a mind reader?" he smirked as his hand feathered up and down my bare abdomen.

"No, but I can read you." I mumbled honestly "For some reason I can read you...almost better than my own thoughts."

His face sobered and he had a look of understanding in his eyes. Why did everyone do that? "What."

"What do you mean, what?" he frowned.

"Every time I talk about the connection between us everyone gets a look." I said "it's not a bad look, but it's like there's more to it."

"It's just a look." He smiled and leaned into me "Don't worry about it."

"No." I said pulling away from him "I want to know."

He looked at me frustrated and let out a sigh "You'll think it's weird, and probably freak out."

"Tell me." I frowned "I won't think it's weird."

He got a look of thoughtfulness on his face and then conceded "When I first came here you were already missing." I nodded "I saw you."

"You saw me?"

"Yes." He nodded "I saw you, it was like you were a ghost that haunted me. It's why I looked for you, and I tried to pass it off as me being crazy. I gave myself CT scans almost daily. But you led me to things that no one would have been able to find. And in the end this vision I had of you led me to where you were just barely in the nick of time. So crazy or not, I'm glad I saw it."

Seriously? Ok that is a little weird. I mean I'm glad in a sense but a little creeped out too. He looked worried as I stared at him without saying anything. I didn't know what to say. This guy saw my ghost or whatever, he saw and felt me when no one else did. That's a little crazy, and one hell of a connection. I didn't know what to say.

"Meredith?"

"I have a surgery in an hour and a half." I said as I sat up in bed "And I should really get going."

"Meredith." He said a little desperately, I felt his hand rest gently on my arm in hopes of stopping me, I turned and flashed a smile to reassure him "don't go."

"It's ok." I gulped, though I wasn't sure if it was. I think I just needed to digest it. "I'll see you later."

And with that I left him probably feeling like...well I don't know but he was probably feeling pretty bad. And I felt like an ass for leaving him after he'd confessed such a vulnerable confession, but I needed to digest. I needed time. I needed to....understand.