19.

"Lexie you're staring." I mumbled through a mouthful of turkey sandwich. "Again."

After Dr. McDreamy helped coax me a little into using more words they were coming easier and the bruise in my brain was hardly noticeable. But my sister, God love her, would not leave me alone. When she wasn't fussing over me and ordering my nurses around she was sitting next to my bed staring at me like I was about to croak any minute.

"I'm sorry." She apologized "its just...it's a miracle that you're here. You know? I just...you were dead for 18 months, and then Derek found you and you were in a coma for 3 months and it's just...we almost lost you."

"I know I..." then stopped when what she said clicked, stupid slow coma fog mind "Wait...Derek found me? As in Dr. McDreamy Derek Shepherd."

"Yeah." She nodded "Him and Mark went down to the water and found you in that tidal pool cave, you were almost dead. In fact Mark was about to pronounce you dead, but Derek found your pulse."

Before I could respond or Lexie to breathe another word, my jaw dropped open slightly and a figure appeared at the door. It was large and brute and my eyes narrowed in on his cheesy grin.

"You pronounced me dead!" I muttered loudly, his face fell as he glanced at Lex "Jackass!"

"Technically." He informed me "The police declared you dead, homicidal to be frank. I was only taking lead."

"By digging a god damn hole in the ground for me!"

"Mer calm down." Mark soothed "You have a head injury, you don't need to get stressed out."

Hey, maybe that would bring McDreamy back in here? God I could look at his eyes all day long, and his ass. Even under scrubs I could tell the man had a divine ass.

"Oh I've already been as dead as dead can get to come back to life." I muttered and let out a sigh as I looked between them "You two are together aren't you?"

Lexie's wide gasping eyes and Mark's odd silence was my answer. They'd been dancing around each other all morning and it was getting annoying. It was as if they were being too careful to show any true emotions or feelings.

"I um...Mer." Lexie laughed nervously "Well yes...but well we.."

"We leaned one each other through the tough times." He finished her rambling sentence "And we fell in love."

"Love?" I raised my brow and glanced at Lexie "Does dad know?"

"Dad knows." She nodded "We um, we live together."

"Oh." I mumbled as I processed the thought "Well I'm happy for you guys."

Actually I was happy. It was about time my baby sister grew up and got happy on her own. Sure the guy was my best friend and ten years her senior, but I was happy that she was happy. Her cheeks glowed a little which sort of made me sick. Where was Dr. McDreamy, he always cheered me up.

"So what else is new?" I frowned "It sounds like a lot has changed in the last 18 months."

"Not really anything." Lexie shrugged "Other than us, the only thing new is Dr. Shepherd."

"Yeah?" I couldn't help smiling "Yummy."

"Totally." Lexie giggled, then cleared her throat as Mark threw her a look.

"Hey." He scoffed "I'm way better looking that Derek. I've always had more ladies than him."

"Oh yeah." Lexie raised her brow "How many are we talking about?"
His jaw stiffened "Enough."

"So you know him then."

"We were roomies in college and med school."

"Inside info." I grinned. Mark rolled his eyes and gave me a, you don't need to be thinking about a guy yet look. "Just for fun Markie."

"You must have gotten your head hit harder than we thought." He grumbled "that or they're giving you really good drugs."

"Maybe." I pouted as my nose itched from the narcotics.

I was getting quite a bad headache. My head throbbed as I absorbed all the new information, and it wasn't much. I sighed as I picked at the bread on my sandwich and munched it.

"So nothing else." I said "What about...Deacon?"

"Right here." We all heard from the doorway.

I barely noticed Mark stiffen and Lexie glare with surprise as my eyes glued to my husband's face. For a moment I almost didn't recognize him. His smile beamed at me and he looked like the boy that I met my freshmen year of college. The one who would wait outside my class for 45 minutes just to carry my books for five. He looked like the young man I fell in love with, not the one I left two years ago. For the first time since regaining my ability to speak I was speechless.

"I heard you were awake." He said with finesse as he walked to my bedside and leaned over "but I had to see for myself."

His lips brushed mine and I felt a warm tingle spread throughout my body. It didn't feel right, but it did feel good.