5.

That evening, as I dozed off in an on-call room was the first time I dreamt about Meredith Grey. Maybe it was for my grieving conscious or perhaps I needed to be tortured for having started to fall for a dead woman. What I couldn't understand was why I saw her, why she seemed so real to me...but I couldn't get over my need to know more, to know what happened to her...

It was a dark rainy night in Seattle and I was standing in the middle of the parking lot of Seattle Grace Hospital. It must have been a side parking lot off to the side of the ER where not a lot of cars parked due to the lack of street lights. Everything was black and white, like in those movies where they're giving you a glimpse of the past or a flashback. And then she came running out the ER doors, she was in color and stuck out like a sore thumb. Her blue scrubs glowed blue and her hair golden, tied back into a pony tail.

I watched as she skipped through the rain to a car, it must have been hers as she dug in her pocket for keys. She was putting the key in the lock when suddenly there was something next to her. She jumped as she felt a hand on her arm and I felt sick to my stomach with anxiety. It was a woman next to her, wearing dirty torn clothing and hair that hadn't been brushed in a month.

"You have to help her!" the woman pleaded "My sister, she's hurt, you have to help her!"

"There's an ER right there." Meredith gulped "Bring her in there and I can help her."

"No!" she screamed "No hospital, he won't let her."

"Who?" Meredith asked "Who won't let her."

"Please, please help her!" she cried "My sister will die."

Meredith stood there as the rain soaked her hair and torso, visibly contemplating what to do. But I already knew what she would do. The same thing I would have done, and if Mark was at all right about her being a good person there was only one choice, no matter what the law and ethics said.

"Let me get my bag."

"Oh thank you!" the woman cried.

Meredith grabbed her jump bag out of her trunk and then the woman took off, Meredith ran after her. And my eyes did too. They ran through the stand of trees south of the hospital and towards the river that fed into the bay. She definitely was in shape, or maybe pumping with adrenaline because she didn't even sound winded as they finally got to the river. There across it was an old shack, it was creepy and dark. I wanted to grab her and scream not to go, but this was a dream, this had already happened.

They jumped on stepping stones to cross the river and she led her to a shed out back, motioning her to make as little noise as possible. She opened the shed and Meredith silently gasped as she saw it full of about a dozen women looking about in the same shape as the one that came and got her. One of them was laying on the ground, her head in the lap of another.

"What are you doing!" one of them whispered. "You'll get us killed, you'll get her killed!"

"I had to sister." She whispered back "Mary will die."

"If we pray to him enough he will save her."

"He's the one that hurt her!"

"Are you a doctor?" a woman in the corner asked, hope rang in her voice.

"Yes." Meredith mumbled "I'm a surgeon."

"Please." The woman gasped "Please help us."

"Ok." She nodded "Ok, I'll help you."

I woke with the start of my pager and gasped. What the fuck! Was someone out there harvesting women, was it some kind of compound or cult? Meredith was kind, and smart, why would she meddle in it? I didn't have time to figure it out as I looked at the 911 page. I slipped my shoes back on and ran out the door and down to the ER.

"What happened?" I called out to a nurse.

"There was some kind of explosion in an apartment building across town, your patient is in Trauma 1."

I nodded a look of thanks as I rushed into the room where a tiny woman with blonde hair laid on the table. I stalled a moment as my heart raced but as I took a moment to breathe, I saw it was clearly not her.

"What caused this explosion?" I asked the ER doctors "Do you know?"

"We think it was a gas leak."

"Ok." I said "I need her taken up for a CT, and someone schedule an OR."

"I think all the OR's are full." An intern called out.

"Well I don't care what you think." I muttered "If you want this woman to live to see tomorrow GET me an OR!"

I walked out of the room feeling irritated, and slightly more at place here. I heard a baby screaming at the top of it's lungs across the room. I always felt bad for kids who were sick or hurt, I guess it's why I didn't go into pediatrics, it would be too hard to not get too emotional. They were so vulnerable and helpless and you just wanted to go above and beyond yourself to help them....I gasped as it hit me. I understood then exactly why Meredith had gotten herself into what she did. God rest her soul.

*********************************
What you think so far about this fic? It's very different fic.. So let me know your thoughts and tell me if you want me to keep posting or not ❤️