43.

"Marry me." I said for...well I lost count, but the words had left my mouth several times, and just like the rest she glanced at me with a giggle.

"You have brain damage."

"That doesn't mean that I don't want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"I just got divorced." She rolled her eyes as she sat down on the edge of my bed "And your sisters hate me."

"Sister." I argued "Just one, and the one I'm not very fond of myself."

"You need to rest your brain, it needs to heal, I don't want any more passing out."

"Then put my mind to ease, marry me."

"Derek." She sighed.

"Before you say anything else." I defended "Answer me this." Her mouth closed and she looked on curiously "Do you, or do you not, want to have a future with me. Do you or do you not love me, because if the answer is no...well then what are we doing? And if the answer is yes, well screw what everyone else thinks." I took her hand in mine and softly caressed it "I love you Meredith Grey, and I know it's a lot to ask, and I know that you've gone through some tough stuff in recent days...so I want to make them better, and I want...to make you my wife."

A smile graced her beautiful face as she leaned in and softly kissed me, unfortunately, I didn't hear any sort of solid answer before we were interrupted.

"Really, you just fixed his brain and now you're all over him."

She pulled back and gave me a flat lined smile as I brooded and thought of a million nasty mean things to say to my sister. Meredith took it much better than I did, she softly turned around to my sister as the rest filed into the room.

"You don't like me very much do you?" Meredith asked.

"No." Nancy snorted "I don't like you at all."

"Can I ask why?"

"Yes Nancy," Carolyn frowned "Meredith did a great deal to help Derek, we should be grateful."

"I am grateful that her moron of an idea worked." Nancy bit back "But I just don't like her, I don't need a reason to explain, I just don't."

"So be it." Meredith nodded, her voice calm an sweet, so much so that I think I feel a little more in love with her in that moment "But like me or not, you're going to have to put up with me for a very long time."

"Ha." Nancy scoffed "And what gives you that idea?"

She turned and looked at me, in a way that she was ignoring the rest of the room, and the world for that matter and her smile glowed. "Yes."

"Yes?" I frowned, my head was a little cloudy.

"Yes," she repeated "I'll marry you."

I ignored the gasping sounds in the room as I just fell A LOT more in love with the woman I'd pulled into my arms for a smoldering kiss.

**

A year later she stood in front of me at the alter, her hair up in curls and wearing a white dress. We professed our love to each other that day and I think we both knew that it really would last a lifetime.

"I, Derek, take you, Meredith, to be my partner, loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the woman you will become, and falling in love a little more every day. I promise to love and cherish you through whatever life may bring us."

"I, Meredith, take you, Derek, to be my partner, loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the man you will become, and falling in love a little more every day. I promise to love and cherish you through whatever life may bring us."

"By the power vested in me by the state of Washington, I now pronounce that you are husband and wife. Derek, you may kiss your bride."

**

I heard little giggles on either side of me as I laid in the middle of the twin bed bottom bunk that the two little girls shared. I placed a kiss on the top of each other heads of brown curls, first the older, then the younger. Sarah was born nine months and three days after our wedding, and then Violet came eighteen months later, both a surprise but a blessing.

"What are you two giggling about in here?" speak of the devil, she appeared at the door.

"Daddy was just telling us about your story."

"My story?" She smiled as I wiggled up, scooping Sarah up with a kiss and placing her on the top bunk bed.

"You know." Violet giggled "The story of us."

"Oh." Meredith grinned "That story. I hope he didn't exaggerate anything."

"Not at all." I smirked "One charming, good looking prince found his princess and they lived happily ever after."

"Good looking huh?" she snickered as I pulled her in for a soft short 'kid friendly' kiss. "You are not that good looking."

"I'm always good looking." I grinned confidently, to which I was given an overly dramatic eye roll.

"Daddy?" Sarah asked.

"Yes, sweetheart."

"How did you know that Mommy was the right princess?"

I looked at my wife, I smiled softly as the memories flooded my mind. I thought about our life up until this point and everything we'd been through. And of course the fact that this almost didn't happen. I'd finally reached a point in my life where I could look back and not look at it as a waste, or think what happened? No, there was only one explanation as to what saved, not her, but me.

"She's the girl of my dreams."

**********************************
The End
❗️Disclaimer❗️
I didn't write this story full credit goes to "aquariusmind" from the board "Surgical Language" site Tapatalk!