Chapter Twelve

Option Two: Wake Alex up and Three: Do it again(I’m sorry)

I sit there, shaking my head. How could I possibly sleep with him? He was drunk, he has a wife and kids.. It would be terrible to not wake him up. 

I shake him gently and he stirs and mumbles something inaudibly. I shake him again and he slowly opens his eyes, looking up at me. 

“Good morning, Laurens.” He mumbles, closing his eyes again. I roll my eyes and he then opens his suddenly, eyes wide open. He looks down at us and then back up at me, blushing madly. “Oh shit..”

“Yeah..” I nod at him, blushing a little as well. “How much of last night do you remember?” 

He rubs his forehead, sighing softly. “Um, hold on, let me have a cup of coffee first.. And some tylenol if you don’t mind.”

“Oh, right, just wake up in my bed and start asking for stuff.” I sigh, getting up out of bed. I blush and quickly grab my boxers, which were on the floor, and throw them on, and I hear Alex chuckle slightly.

I frown and turn. "What's so funny?" I ask. 

"I've just.. I've always wondered if your freckles were everywhere." He says, smirking at me. "Now I know, they are."

I blush madly and groan. "Yeah, they're like a disease, now shut up and get dressed, I'm going to make us coffee." I throw a hoodie on and exit the room, desperate to get away from the awkwardness. 

It didn't work, however, because it seemed to loom over me like a rain cloud. There was just no escaping it. 

I sigh and make us coffee, and Alexander comes in, fully clothed. His hair was still messy, but I'm sure that was the least of his worries right now. 

I hand him the coffee and some tylenol and he thanks me, takes it, and then looks at me, a look of remorse in his eyes. "John Laurens, I am so sorry.."

I sigh. "What do you remember from last night?"

He hops up on the counter and shrugs. "Um, I remember Eliza and I fighting at home. We were arguing about how we’re going to continue from this, and I walked out on her..”

“Again?” I ask, giving him a stern look. He looks up at me and then hangs his head low, shaking his head. 

“I’m sorry, I know it’s bad. I have a problem, I just couldn’t stay there any longer.” He mumbles. 

“So you go out drinking?” I ask. “Alexander, you have children, you can’t just do whatever you feel like doing because you’re upset.” 

“You don’t think I know that?”

“No, I don’t, because you did the same thing that almost got you killed.” 

He goes silent, and I just stare at him. This was not the same man I knew so long ago. He never would have just left Elizabeth in the middle of a fight. The old Alex always resolved problems, always made sure everything had a proper end to it. 

After around two minutes of just silence, I sigh and ask, “What else do you remember from last night?”

He looks up at me and then nods. “Um, I went to the bar.. After that, it’s pretty fuzzy, up until I was sitting in your bathroom anyway. I remember stumbling out, having a conversation, though I don’t remember what we said exactly. Then I remember kissing you, and I remember.. The deed..” He says slowly. “And then I woke up next to you.” 

I look to the side, biting the inside of my cheek. “We can’t tell anyone about this.”

“What did you think I was going to do, go home and boast to my wife about our affair?”