Chapter Fifteen

Option One: Maria’s POV

The man with curly hair and lots of freckles stares at me. He didn’t even look like he wanted to be here, much less meet me. I told Lizzie this would be a bad idea, but she just wouldn’t listen.

“Oh, uh, hello. I’m John Laurens. You went to my high school, right?” He asks and I nod.

I remembered him from high school. I remembered how he followed his best friend around all the time. I remembered how he would watch with sad eyes whenever the other guy was talking to a group of girls, definitely flirting with all of them.

I later found out that that guy he was in love with was the guy who ended up marrying my current girlfriend. So, it’s pretty messy.

“Yeah, I’m shocked you even remember that. I mean, I remember you, but not very many people remember me.” I say, blushing gently as I sit next to Eliza.

He nods. “Well, James was in our grade, and he was a jerk. It’s hard not to remember his little sister who was the complete opposite of him.”

I sigh softly. Figures he only remembered me because of my brother. That’s the only reason people remember me. “Right..” I mumble.

“Oh, I didn’t know you two knew each other. That’s pretty cool.” Eliza says, smiling gently and holding my hand.

“Well, yeah, we never really hung out much, but him and Alexander were kind of popular. It was hard not to know them.” I nod and see John fidget slightly.

I knew John in high school, yes, but from what Lizzie has told me about him, he hasn’t changed. He’s still crazy in love with Alexander, which is weird to me. How do you love someone for like ten years, and continue loving him after he’s married and has kids and such? It just doesn’t make sense.

When I first met Eliza, I didn’t know she was married. We met at a bar, had what was supposed to be a one night stand. It clearly lasted longer, though. She soon told me she actually was married, but her husband didn’t care for her the way I did. I felt bad, but I guess I couldn’t stop seeing her.

It’s different from John’s situation, though. Because Eliza actually loves me back, and shows it. From what I understand, Alexander just focuses on his family and leaves John in the dust. Well, he did before he faked his death anyway.

What kind of asshole even does that? He just left his wife and kids, making them think he was dead, and then comes back randomly? If anything, I’m glad they’re getting a divorce. Eliza deserves way better than that piece of shit.

Our conversation with John lasted around an hour, before he said he had to head home. When he left, Eliza and I decided to head back to my place, and watch some TV. She was sitting up on my couch, and playing with my hair as I layed in her lap.

“So, now you’ve re-met John. What do you think?” Eliza asks, smiling down at me.

I sigh softly and think about my answer. I don’t want to worry her or make her upset at John, but I truly think he’s hiding something. Something about the way he talked, and the way he got uncomfortable when I mentioned him and Alex together- it just didn’t feel right.

“I.. Don’t know. He’s a nice guy, he always has been, but..” I trail off and she tilts her head.

“But what?” She asks.

“But he still likes Alexander.”

“Still? What do you mean by still?”

“Dude, he’s liked him since high school. He never admitted it, but it was so easy to tell. Well, for me at least.” I say and her expression drops.

“He’s liked him that long?” She asks, pursing her lips together.

I nod. “Oh yeah, it’s been like forever. I’m shocked you didn’t know that.”

“Well great, now I feel bad. I never meant to hurt John, I had no idea..”

I sit up, now frowning myself. “Hold on, don’t feel bad, Liz. Just because John liked him doesn’t mean Alex liked him back. Clearly, he liked you. Well, he loved you actually.”

“But- oh God, he was the best man at our wedding. I feel awful, why has he been so nice to me all these years?” She asks, looking at me with worried eyes.

I pull her into a hug. “When you love someone, you have to be able to let them go. He let Alex go, because that’s what was right. None of this was your fault, so there’s no reason for him to be mad or take it out on you.”

“But I just got in the way-”

“Alex chose you. Maybe he doesn’t know, but he did. You have nothing to feel bad about.” I pull away and look her in the eyes. “Think of it this way- if you and Alex had not fallen in love, you wouldn’t have your two kids. And I know how much you love them.”

She nods gently. “Do you think he hates me?” She asks.

“Who, John? No, I think you two are really good friends. I’m glad you two can be there for each other.” I say.

“No, not John. Alex.” She sighs. “I know he loves John back, I’ve recently discovered that through this divorce, but do you think he holds a grudge against me? For keeping him in this marriage so long, even after I cheated on him?”

I think about it and then shake my head. “No, I don’t think so. I know that’s typically what divorces mean, but I really think you guys will be fine coming out of this divorce.”

She nods slowly. “But.. I’ve been a terrible wife-”

“No, don’t say that. Sure, you’re not perfect, but nobody is. Your husband especially.” I say stern but lovingly. “I mean, whatever bad things you did are nothing compared to him faking his own death.”

She frowns and looks down. “I’m such an idiot, aren’t I. I really believed he was dead, even though the body was never found. I should have clung to my belief that he was still out there.”

“You were overcome by grief, love. And you weren’t the only one who thought he was dead, everyone did. He made sure everyone did.” I kiss her forehead. “So no, you’re not an idiot.”

She sighs and looks up at me. “Thank you, Maria. I really needed to hear that.”

“Of course, you know I’m always here for you.” I say, leaning back into the couch with my arm wrapped around her. She was the best thing in my life, and I don’t intend on letting her go.

Option One: Angst
Option Two: Fluff

Place your votes here ☞☞

1151 Words

Side note: I'm sorry these chapters are taking longer to come out. I've got a lot on my plate right now, I hope you can understand