Chapter Twenty Seven

Option One: Martha's POV

"Frances, dear, will you come in here please?" I call from the livingroom of our apartment.

She comes running in, pulling her earbuds out of her ears. "Yeah, mom?"

"Look, I understand you don't want to share a room with me anymore, but if you're going to sleep in the livingroom, you need to keep it clean. This is the first room people walk into, you can't leave everything everywhere." I explain, pointing to the clothes and blankets and such everywhere.

She rolls her eyes. "Why don't we just move elsewhere? Or stop inviting people over, then?" The pre-teen asks. "I don't understand why we're living in a one-bedroom apartment, anyway."

"What would you rather have? A big home or enough food on the table?" I ask, crossing my arms.

She sighs softly. "Fine, I'm sorry. I'll clean it up."

She starts to gather her stuff and I sigh, walking over and kissing the top of her head. "I love you, you know."

She looks up at me and gives half a smile. "Yeah, I know. And I love you, too."

I nod and walk about ten steps to the kitchen. I will admit, living in such a small apartment was not ideal. But rent in New York was crazy, and it was either more space or more items. I wanted my daughter to have a better life outside of the house, so I chose to have less room. I hated being a single mom, but what else was I supposed to do? Frances's dad didn't care enough to stick around, my family refused to help, I was on my own, fighting for my daughter and I.

After dinner, I went to my room. Frances used to sleep in here with me, but ever since she started middle school, she hated the idea of sleeping in the same room as me. So, she moved out to the livingroom. After I climb into bed, I hear a knock on the door. I sit up as Frances walks into the room.

"Hey, Mom?"

I knew what was going on. Every so often, she would get all shy and come up to me, asking about her dad. She usually did this when our money struggles are brought up. I sigh gently.

"Yes, dear?"

"I know you don't like talking about him.. But do you think my dad will ever come back?" She asks, leaning against the door frame.

I frown slightly and gesture for her to come over. She walks in and sits next to me and I immediately wrap my arms around her. "Oh, you know I wish he would come back." I lie to her. "But he left before I even told him about you.. I'm not so sure he's going to change his mind and come back now."

"But if he did, would you let him back in?" She asks.

To be honest, I had thought about this a lot. He didn't deserve to come back, not after what he did. Not that I think he would ever try to reach out. He literally left South Carolina without a trace just to get away from this, what could possibly change his mind?

"I would do whatever I felt was best for you, my love." I kiss the top of her head and she smiles softly.

"I love you, Mom." She says, snuggling into my side.

I smile and pull her closer. "I love you, too, Frances."

Timeskip brought to you by Manon being.. Annoying.

"Hey mom, can I go get some better earbuds? Mine are breaking and I wanted this new pair that came out.."

I look over at her from the shelf of food. "Oh, uh, I don't know.."

"Please, mom? They're only like seven or eight dollars." She begs.

I sigh softly and nod. "Yes, alright, go get them. I'll be right here, getting more food. Don't be too long, okay?"