Chapter Twenty Nine

Option one: Go talk with Alex

I knock on the door to my room and wait for a moment before opening it. I step inside and see Alex sitting on my bed, looking at one of the paintings that were previously on the wall. It was actually the painting he dropped when he first came back from the dead. I had to get a new frame for that, that sucked.

I bite the inside of my cheek, closing the door behind me. "Um, hey.. You wanted to talk to me?"

He doesn't look away from the painting as he sighs gently. "Yeah.. I wanted to start by saying sorry."

I stare at him a little longer. Alexander apologizing? This was either going to take a real bad turn because he was about to do something entirely idiotic, or he was actually apologizing for being a bit of an ass earlier. Based on our history, I would assume the first option.

"For what?" I ask cautiously as I sit next to him, preparing myself for the worst.

"For being a dick. You're trying to help your family, I shouldn't have reacted like that. I know I would have done the same if I were in the same situation." He explains.

I raise an eyebrow, stunned by the response. It was the second option, that's odd. "Oh.. I wasn't expecting that, but I do appreciate the apology." I tell him. "And it's alright, I forgive you. I know it was super sudden, and we were worrying about our own problems right before all of this, I just.. I should have warned you beforehand."

Alex nods softly and looks up at me. We sit in silence for a little while, just looking at each other. He had a look on his face that I didn't see very often from him- a look of sincerity and sympathy combined. I could tell he was deep in thought, but I didn't want to interrupt him. Instead, I just stayed quiet and let him have his time to think whatever he was thinking.

I could do some thinking myself. Like I could think about how I still have no idea what to do about Francis. Bad Francis, I mean. I haven't talked to him since he stormed out of my house around three weeks ago. I figured he was waiting for me to crawl back to him, and if I didn't contact him soon enough, he would find a way back to me. He was plotting.

Alex said he would help me. I might have to take him up on that. Because clearly, I'm not strong enough to talk to Francis and end things for good. Having him there would be really helpful, and then there would be no more misunderstandings or manipulations.

After I dropped Francis for good, though, what would I do next? I should focus on being a better parent for the other Frances. She's really sweet, I can't believe she's my kid. Her mother raised her well, but I need to make things right between her and I as well. I don't know how I'm going to do that, but I needed to find a way.

"I think it's time we make some decisions about... us." Alex says, interrupting my thought process.

I hadn't even thought about that yet. "Oh, right.. Uh, what about us?"

"Exactly. What are we?" He asks. "I know you asked me the same question a little while ago, but a lot has changed since then. With my divorce going smoother, and your relationship hopefully ending soon, I think we should figure it out."

"You don't want to wait until everything is officially.. Done?" I ask. "I mean, there's so much shit that keeps happening, maybe it's better to wait. You could finalize your divorce, I could get rid of Francis for good, and then-"

"If we wait, who knows what else is going to happen? There's just going to be more shit to pull us apart before we even get the chance." He states, frowning slightly. "I mean, we've slept together three times now, I don't want to just be fuck buddies."

I purse my lips and try not to laugh. "Did you just.. Use the term.. Fuck buddies?" I ask, stifling my laughter.

He looks up at me and raises an eyebrow. "Are you laughing at me right now?"

"No.." I say, letting out a fake cough to cover my laughs. "Okay, maybe."

I laugh some and he smiles softly, rolling his eyes. "John Laurens, this is serious!" He complains, though I could see he was in a better mood anyway.

I shake my head, still laughing. "I know, I know! I just, fuck buddies? Dude, there are better terms for that! Or better ways to word it, at least."

He smacks my arm playfully and I finish off my laughing. "Well, the point is I don't want that to be the thing everyone sees between us."

I calm down and look at him, being serious. "So.. What are you saying?"

"John, I want you to be my boyfriend. And I want to be yours." He says, grabbing my hands gently. "I know this isn't the most romantic way I could have asked you, but I didn't want to wait another second."

I gulp. This was a big step. One I'm pretty sure we've been trying to head towards for a long time now, but he was right, things kept happening. We kept making excuses for us not to be together. I think about it a little longer and then nod. "Okay."

"Okay?" Alex scoffs. "John, that's not an answer-"

"No, I agree with you." I nod. I look over at him and give his hands a gentle squeeze, holding them back. "I do want to be with you. It's what I've wanted practically since I've known you. So yeah, I don't want to wait anymore. Waiting never seems to work out for us."

Alex smiles softly. "Really? Are we really doing this?"

I nod, returning the smile. "Yeah, yeah I'm pretty sure we are."

His smile widens and he leans in, but stops himself. He looks up at me, not moving his face further than a foot away from mine, and asks, "May I?"

I blush and nod, closing the gap between us. The kiss was sweet and slow, unlike some of our other kisses. This one was.. I don't know, I couldn't describe it. All I knew was it was better.

It's almost like we've been waiting for this moment our entire lives. Which is totally cheesy, I know, but it truly felt that way.

All I knew was I never wanted it to end.

But of course, we had to breathe, you know.

We pull away and I smile at him. "You should know, I've waited for this moment for a long time now." I tell him, blushing softly.

He blushes gently, too, and nods. "I know, John. Believe it or not, I have been, too."

I chuckle gently and give him a quick peck on the cheek. "So.. Date night then?" He asks, smiling at me.

I hesitate. "Um.. I don't know, I have a feeling I should maybe have dinner with Martha and Frances tonight, since it's their first night here. I want to make a good first impression. Well, second first impression I guess." I sigh.

He nods. "It's whatever you want. Maybe we can just go tomorrow night instead?" He suggests.

"Well.."

Option One: Go on a date with Alex tonight
Option Two: Have dinner with Martha and Frances tonight 

Place your votes here ☞☞

1274 Words