Chapter Thirteen

Option One: Hide him under the bed.

The knocking on the door continued as Alex and I panicked to try and find a hiding spot for him. I point towards the closet and he gives me a disgusted look.

"Are you kidding? She'll know to look there first!" He whisper shouts at me.

"Just get under the bed, then!" I whisper shout back and he rolls his eyes, but does as I say anyway.

"John, come on, I don't care who's in there with you, I'm coming in." I hear Elizabeth say and I grab my blankets and cover myself up, blushing madly as she enters the room.

She looks around, raising an eyebrow. "What? Did they escape through the window?"

I chuckle nervously and rub the back of my neck. "No one was over, it was just me..." I blush even more.

She giggles and nods, setting down some clothes on my bed. "Well, I went through mine and Alex's closet last night, figured I could give you some shirts he never wears if you wanted."

I nod, not sure what else to do. This whole scene was embarrassing, and she was acting so calm about it. It was strange.

She goes through the shirts and hangs them up in my closet one by one, and I silently thank whoever's up there looking out for me that I did not hide Alex in there.

"How-how did you even get in, exactly?" I ask.

"Oh, the front door was cracked open, at first I thought you were in trouble." She says as she continues hanging up the shirts. "Thankfully, you are in no danger."

"Well, physically no, but my pride might have dwindled down a little bit." I say, looking towards the ground.

"Nah, you'll be fine. It's just me, after all." She finishes hanging up the shirts and then turns back to me. "Have you heard from Alex, by the way? He never came home last night."

I gulp and shake my head. "No-No, sorry. What happened last night?" I ask.

She sighs and looks off to the side. "We fought again. He walked out again. Probably got drunk, maybe in another person's bed, who knows."

My face turns redder and I look down at my lap. God this was awful. "Why would you assume he's in another's bed?"

She looks back at me and shrugs. "I don't know, it's just a thought that crossed my mind. I feel like I should be worried about him, but I'm not. Is that weird?"

"I think he can handle himself, and he's probably fine. There's no reason to worry." I nod at her. I knew he was fine, so I was allowed to make those promises to her.

She nods. "Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think it's possible to get rid of Alexander." She giggles softly. "Well, I'd better get going, Philip and Angelica are waiting in the car."

"Oh, God I'm glad you didn't bring them in." I say, the bright pink color reappearing on my face.

She nods. "The cracked door gave me reason not to bring them in." She waves. "I'll leave you to it, then. Later John!"

I wait until I can hear the front door close before peeking under the bed. I see Alex laying there, frowning gently. "Alex, you can come out now, she's gone."

He looks up at me. "Hm? Oh, sorry." He crawls out from under the bed and sits down next to me, staring at the door.

I rest my chin on his shoulder, looking at him curiously. "Are you alright?" I ask.

He sighs softly, still staring at the door. "I'm terrible." He mumbles.

I frown and sit up, looking around us. The situation was not good, there were so many things wrong in the current moment. "It takes two to tango, so you're not the only one."

"But did you hear how she sounded? She was so.. Over it. She expected it, she's not even worrying for me." He says, sounding hurt.

"Seriously? You're upset that she's not worried for you? I think she has other things to worry about." I roll my eyes gently.

"I know, that's the problem. You're right, I've been dragging you all along with this for way too long." He stands up suddenly and starts grabbing his clothes, putting them on.

I raise an eyebrow. "Where are you going?" I ask, pulling the blanket over me a little more.

"I'm going to fix all of this, I promise. Just give me a few days, and I promise I'll stop leading either of you on." Alex nods at me, buttoning up his shirt.

I tilt my head at him. "How on Earth are you going to do that?"

He smiles gently and comes up, kissing me soft and quick. "Don't worry about it, I'll explain everything later." Before I could say anything, he was out the door, gone before I knew it.

I sit there, not entirely sure what to do, or what to make of the position I'm currently in. I don't quite know what Alex was planning on doing, but I did know that I didn't have much hope it would end the way I wanted it to... Whatever way that may be.

Timeskip brought to you by the smell of rebellion.

"John, hey!"

I look up from the shelf and raise an eyebrow, seeing Lafayette walking towards me. "Oh, hello, Laf."

"You know, I've been meaning to talk to you, have you talked to Alex lately?" He asks.

I shrug. "Not since Sunday. Why, something happen?"

"Oh yeah, him and Eliza are actually getting a divorce."

"Wait, what?" I ask, setting down the can of soup in my hand. I lean against my cart and he nods.

"Oh yeah, he came home Sunday night I guess and slammed the divorce papers down on the table." Laf nods. "They're both going to court soon, to figure out who gets what."

"Oh, wow. I was not expecting that." I smile gently and then it fades and I look up at him with wide eyes. "Wait, he did that Sunday night?"

Laf nods. "Yeah, why do you look so upset?"

"I think I may have caused this.. Oh God, why do I feel so bad now?" I sigh and rub my temple.

"Why do you think you came between them? They've been falling apart for years now." He asks curiously.

Option One: Tell him the truth.
Option Two: Lie to him.

1073 Words