Chapter Nineteen

Option Two - Stay there

I look at the messages one more time before putting my phone away. I fake a smile at him. “No, it’s okay. I really don’t want to go to dinner with them anyway.”

He nods, smiling gently. “Alright, sounds good.”

He sits back into the couch and watches the television, and I hear my phone go off a few more times. Alex looks at me and I chuckle nervously, pulling out my phone to turn off the ringer. I glance at the messages.

Don’t ignore me.

I just want to meet up and grab some food, it’s been so long.

John, please.

I clear my throat and put my phone back in my back pocket. “I’m going to go check on the kids.” I tell him and he nods.

I stand and walk down the hallway, peeking in the door to Angelica’s room. I see Philip playing with Ange, and Ange laughing at her brother’s overdramatized movements. I chuckle softly. “You two having fun?”

They look over and Ange runs over to me, grabbing my arm. “Come play with us, Uncle John!”

“Oh, I don’t know, Ange. Your father is still in the other room-”

“Okay! I’ll go get him!” Ange says, running out of the room before I could tell her no.

I sit across from Philip and smile up at him. “You’re a pretty cool brother, playing with your sister like this.” I tell him.

He smiles at the ground. “Uncle John, can I ask you something?”

I nod. “Yeah, anything Philip.”

“Mommy’s already found someone new, do you think Dad is going to?”

I sigh softly. “I.. Well, I’m sure eventually he will find someone. This whole process is going to take a long time, though, that’s the problem.”

“It’s going to take a long time?” He asks, looking up at me with a worry in his eyes.

I pause and look at him. “Uh, well, yeah, kind of. Your mom and dad have a lot to figure out, but it’ll be alright, I promise.”

He sighs and slumps back. “I’m tired of this.” He pouts.

“I know, Pip.” I pull him into a hug and he just sits there. “Don’t worry, you’ll always have me.” I say.

He looks up at me. “Always?”

I nod. “Yes, always.” I confirm and he smiles.

“Thanks, John.”

Alex and Angie walks into the room - well, Angie dragged Alex in anyway. He chuckles softly and sits next to me as Angie grabs dolls for us to play with. He messes with Philip’s hair and the small boy beams. This poor kid has gone through so much recently, and yet he still seemed happy. Maybe I could learn a thing or two from him.

Alex, Ange, Philip and I play for at least an hour before I decide it’s time for me to go home. The kids begged me not to go, but I told them I had work to get done.

Once I arrive at home, I realize there really is nothing for me to do. I could start cleaning out the guest room for Alex, I suppose. That way he could move in as soon as possible. I think his next court hearing is in like a month or something.

I tread upstairs and hear my phone ringing. I pull it out and see the same contact from earlier. I sigh and press decline, but they call again before I could take three steps.

I decline once again, but they call a third time and I finally answer.

“What do you want?”

“Well damn, cutie. I just wanted to catch up while I’m in New York, you know.”

I cringe slightly. “Francis, I told you whatever we had was over. I was in pain, I didn’t actually want to be with you.” I sneer.

He scoffs. “Yeah, okay. That’s not what you said every time we met up. You’re just afraid you’ll fall for my dashing looks and charming personality again.” I could almost hear his smirk.

“In your dreams, Kinloch.” I roll my eyes.

“Listen, one dinner. That’s all I ask. If nothing happens, I’ll leave you alone I promise.”

“No. We’re done, we’ve been done. I’m with someone new.” I lie.

“Oh, really. Who is that?” He asks, chuckling softly.

I suck in a breath. “You remember Alexander, correct?”

There was a moment of silence from the other side of the phone before he burst into a fit of laughter.

"Alexander like Alexander Hamilton? Like married Alexander Hamilton? Married, two kids?" He asks, practically mocking me.

"He's divorced, now, and we're dating, actually."

So what if I lied to him, he was never going to figure out anyway.

"Mmhm, sure, John." Francis finishes his chuckling. "If you're really together with him, then I'm sure you told him your secret, right?"

I freeze and ball up my fist. "No, Francis, you're the only one who knows that." I say through my teeth.

"Ahh, so you don't want people to find out, then." He says. "I suppose that means I'll see you at dinner, then, right?"

"I- When were you thinking of heading to dinner?" I mumble.

"That's more like it. How does this Friday sound?"

I think about it a moment and silently curse myself. Of course I had to tell him that, I should have known it would backfire on me eventually.

"Friday is perfect. You'll text me when and where?" I ask.

"Yeah, of course I will." I go to hang up, but hear him continue. "Oh, and invite your boyfriend. I'd love to meet him."

"Goodbye, Francis." I say, hanging up the phone and groaning loudly. I chuck my phone at the couch and then run my fingers through my hair.

Friday night. Dinner with Francis. Francis who has my secret. Francis who wants me to invite my boyfriend. My boyfriend who doesn't exist, but I said was my best friend. Sometimes I really just don't think things through.

Option One: Invite Alex to dinner
Option Two: Go alone

Place your votes here ☞☞

So basically he was gonna go to dinner anyway, but it did change a little bit of the story I swear

1033 Words