giveon- 1993, part 2 (alt ending)

if you're here just for the alt ending, skip to the green hearts.

——

"what's wrong?" my teacher looked worried , standing up.

"uhm, nothing." i let out a breath i didn't know i was holding. "thanks." i quickly gathered my stuff. as a million and one things raced through my mind.

"there's literally no way." i mumbled to myself. i rubbed my temples.

someone is playing. what i think is someone knows he is supposedly dead and posing as him. i mean she said i'm the only one to sit there in 20+ years, but still.

i sighed, trying to clear my mind so i could be in the right headspace to drive. i turned on music to distract me, making my way back to my apartment.

it was 1am, and i hadn't slept a wink. but i wasn't tired.

i have to be overthinking this.

i had my first class in just 4 hours. i huffed, grabbing my keys. i knew the school library and archives was open 24 hours a day, even if it was nobody in there. it was a lot of security cameras on campus anyway.

the drive was short, only about 15 minutes. i rushed to the library, heading to the yearbooks. i grabbed two.

the 1992-1993 and 1993-1994 school year.

one of them has to say something.

and i was right, the 1992-1993 one had a whole page in the front paying respects to giveon, giveon dezmann evans. he was a senior in college when he died. Sunrise February 21, 1971- Sunset September 3,1993. Wow, he would have been almost 50. now i finally had a face to match. at least i think. it had a collection of pictures and notes dedicated to him. but it said nothing about how he died.

okay, so it's true that he is dead. but it cannot be him talking to me.

i closed the book, looking around some more in the school archives and newspaper. i know the school has a newspaper club, and it's still relatively popular so i know it was even more popular in 1993.

i finally found them, grabbing as many 1993 copies as i could find. i sorted through them until i found one from Monday, September 6, 1993. The day he died was a Friday, so i assumed the paper got pushed back.

"Monday, September 6, 1993 — Our Beloved student and peer , All Star Quarterback, and all A student of of 4 years, Giveon Dezmann Evans, has passed. Evans was involved in a drunk driving wreck on Wednesday, September 1st, in which he was not at fault. At the time of writing, no suspect has been charged in either crime of drunk driving or murder.

Evans remained in a medically induced coma for two days until he was taken off life support on September 3rd, 1993.

You will live forever in our hearts."

damn. this situation was much sadder and deeper than i thought. i looked through some more papers and at the end of each weekly publish, in small letters it would give and update of his case. they were usually on fridays, but that one was on a monday cause it was important.

"nobody has been charged in the murder of giveon dezmann evans."  Friday, September 10,1993

"nobody has been charged in the murder of giveon dezmann evans." Friday, September 17,1993

"nobody has been charged in the murder of giveon dezmann evans." September 24,1993

over and over. until they just stopped giving updates. i guess no one was ever charged. this makes the case suck even more.