Chapter 76: Igneel

The roar of a dragon was unmistakable. That was the thought that ran through Rin's head. She paused for a moment, allowing Mard Geer the use this to his advantage as he sent his curse power her way. But that didn't matter.

Rin looked up to see the unmistakable body of a dragon heading their way. It was black with blue arches on its body and it's head similar to a sharks. "A dragon." She gasped, "a live dragon."

"Oh?" Mard Geer looked up also, to see the familiar being rushing towards them. It roared once more before inhaling and burning the ground.

"Wait!" Rin screamed upwards her wings unfurling from its closed position. "What is it doing?!" She turned to Mard Geer as he held the book closer to his body.

"Was he attracted by the concentration of power? Or does he know about Zeref." Rin turned her eyes away from Mard Geer as Sting and Rogue stood frozen. Their eyes shaking and magic unstable as it gave off an aura.

Flapping her wings, Rin flew over in a hurry before he could send another wave of thorns towards them. "Sting! Rogue!" She hissed. Her knees slid against the rough stone which cut through the fabric of her pants.

She pulled the boys close to her as their breathing staggered. The heat burning away at her hands as she grabbed them. "I wonder...what does his arrival foretell? It is quite the quandary." Mard Geer said, staring at the three of them.

Acnologia swooped down towards them, throwing the debris near their surroundings. "I think I see it now, you've come for END, to hunt him down." The man holding the book spoke. Rin threw a glare back at him.

"What does that book have to do with Acnologia?" Her questions went unanswered as Mard Geer only stared up at the sky. The dragon only let out a roar. The man only let out amused mumbles as the dragon above them hovered, ready to obliterate all four standing below.

Rin stabbed the sword onto the ground and concentrated on a magic spell. The circle expanding around them. Then there was a spike.

The familiar feeling of uncontrollable energy, akin to a sweltering fire exploded into a column of flames. Out of it burst Igneel.

Rin's hands dropped from where they sat on the boys. The familiar red scales and heat that Igneel pulled and pushed into the air was unmistakable. "Dad..." she whispered. The dragon only flew upwards and towards her, his beige underbelly flashing by as he tackled Acnologia.

Rogue and Sting had both calmed down, their shaking had stopped but when they peered up at their close friend they could only stare. Rin's stare had turned cold as she looked away towards where Mard Geer left. "I'm going to follow Mard Geer." She picked up the sword and flapped her wings, taking off before they could question her.

The large black feathers expanded outwards as Natsu had flew up to Igneel in Rin's peripheral vision. She scowled as she sped past Mard Geer the sword tucked to her side and as she neared the man, she drew it. Mard Geer jumped away from the edge from where he stood.

"I assumed you and your father would be having a happy reunion." He smirked. Rin rolled her eyes.

"Please, we both know I wasn't the favorite child." She stood her ground across Mard Geer And charged once more. The sword sliding cleanly against the man's arm but not cutting it. His limb transformed into thorns, only to melt away because of the blade's poisonous qualities.

Natsu had crashed beside her, throwing a fist out consumed by flame. "Dad thought you may need a little bit of help!" Natsu grinned. Rin rolled her eyes before sweeping her hand against the concrete. A black chasm had split the building as souls of the damned had aimed to reach the man holding the book.

"Well he sent the wrong guy!" She growled. "I want that book, knowing you you'll destroy it!" Natsu ignored the comment and kicked back with the leg swallowed by fire.

"Dad said you might say that!" He grinned, chasing Mard Geer who had just flew backwards. He only smirked before landing upright and let his hands make several crosses in the air. The thorns detained the souls, pushing them back down as another handful spread trying to cut Natsu. Rin ran once more, cutting them away before twisting the blade in her hand outwards to stab Mard Geer.

She leaned back on her heel before pushing off and missing as he had dodged her quick attack. Natsu jumped over her head with a fist and punched the snarky man. Who only hit the wall but without no scratches.

He only stood still as the siblings stared from across. A smirk only crossed his face.