what our god in heaven has in store (R.L./LE) [drabble]

Summary: The night before the Battle of Hogwarts.

Title: Les Mis - One Day More

Warnings: angst

Word count: 1k

--------

The Burrow hadn't seen this many people since Bill's wedding to Fleur only a few months ago.

A wedding only a few months back... it felt like an entire lifetime ago.

The large oak table that takes centre stage in Molly Weasley's kitchen is crowded; full beyond capacity.

Members of the Order sit around the table, all nursing their drinks whether it be tea, coffee or something stronger. Seldom few words are spoken; minds alone focusing on the outcome of this war.

It had come to a head.

A message received earlier today: HP on the move to Hogwarts. Final battle to begin soon.

The Order would spend their final night at the Burrow before apparating to the grounds by Hogwarts.

You sip at the dregs of your tea, looking down at the leaves in your cup. A prophecy had started this; a prophecy would end this.

A cool breezes floats in through the open door. It ruffles your hair and has your eyes closing at the feel of it brushing over your skin.

Time was dwindling; a handful of hours left – you were going to enjoy them.

A chair scrapes across the stone floor of the kitchen. Opening your eyes, you catch sight of Remus' tweed jacket walking out of the door – the morose atmosphere in the room becoming too much.

You follow him after a minute; giving him the time to collect his thoughts and feelings.

The night air is cool, and the smell of Molly's Freesias is intoxicating. Remus stands before the shoulder-length grass; his entire body tense with anticipation and dread. You walk towards him slowly; your mind running over all possibilities for what you're about to face come the sunrise.

Remus startles at your hand on his shoulder but relaxes at the sound of your voice, "Darling, what is it?"

His voice is hoarse as he says, "You know, I've lived through two wars and I'm not yet forty. I'd like to live through tomorrow to see forty."

Remus sits down in the grass; not caring whether his suit trousers get wet. He continues, "I'd like to live through tomorrow so I can begin my life with you."

You fold yourself down into the grass next to him, "You worry me with talk like that."

He takes your hand in his, tangling your fingers together, "I know. I'm sorry, love. It's on everyone's minds though."

"You're right. I'd like to live through tomorrow too. I'd like to start this life that you're speaking about."

His fingers tighten on yours even more, "Whatever happens, promise me you'll come back to me."

You meet his eyes with fierce determination, the very same reflected in your voice, "I will always come back to you. Nothing will keep me apart from you."

His eyes close as if a long, open wound had finally closed; your words being the balm to heal.

"I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow." He whispers.

"Neither do I. That's the terrifying part."

"I know one thing though."

"What's that?"

Remus places his forehead against yours; his hands grasp either side of your face. His breath fans across your face as he whispers: "I would take my year with you over a lifetime with anyone else."

And the tears that you've held through this entire conversation finally begin to fall.

Remus kisses your cheeks, brushing away with the tears with your lips. "I've never spoken truer words."

And he hadn't. Your relationship was still new; just over a year long. It had been a year of anxiety and insecurity with the war, but it had also been a year full of love and passion from Remus. Your feelings for him had always been there; you had known the man since Hogwarts but had been in the year below him. However, that hadn't stopped you from harbouring a crush on the bookworm Marauder. You never thought he would notice you.

Joining the revival of the Order had you socialising in the same circle, and he started to pay attention to you. He asked for your opinions on plans, on missions. He worried when you went away. He had fallen in love with you and he didn't even realise it until you were injured. The result of his panic had him confessing to you in your room and Remus had never felt happiness like he felt when you confessed that you felt the same way.

So much depended on tomorrow.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.

Tomorrow they would finally find out what's in store. Tomorrow they would find out whether they had a future or not. Tomorrow they would know whether the plans they had created in the calm of the night would come to fruition.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. The words run through your head like a mantra; they chorused like a choir. You wouldn't let yourself think past tonight; tomorrow would be a problem for tomorrow. Right now, you're going to remain in this moment with the love of your life.

Your tears are mixed with Remus' own as he presses kiss after kiss to your mouth. He pulls you into his lap; you straddle his thighs. Kiss after kiss is shared; words don't need to be spoken through this. He's making up for every kiss he didn't do, and for every kiss he may never do after tomorrow.

Optimism is more than essential for this, and Remus is trying. He is trying because his future had never looked so until the first time you kissed him. His future had never taken form beyond the lunar cycle until you had whispered the words 'I love you' against his skin, mouthing them over the scars that mar his body.

Remus had never wished for a lot. He gave up after he wished to never experience a full moon again, but he still transformed the next month.

But he wished for this. He wished for you. He wished for a future in the form of a shared home, a wedding, children.

He wished, and wished, and wished.

And once he was done with his wishing, he'll begin his praying.

Tomorrow decides it all.

But Remus has already decided; it's you, and it always will be, and he'll fight and fight for it.