Staying behind

"There is no disgrace in staying behind,

not when its the right thing."

- Nora Roberts

🌊⛰🔥🌪

Aang's POV
The sky changed into a sunset-filled evening by the time we made it to the island. Appa lay at the base of a stone bridge leading up to the island's mountain with lava flowing beneath the bridge, making the sir thick with steam. The bridge ends at an elegant, multi-story Fire Temple. I rub Appa's head as a reward, "You did it buddy. Nice flying." He bellows in satisfaction, rolling to his side to wave three of his legs into the air lazily with his tongue out.

(Y/N) pulled me to one side for a quick talk, "Aang, you and the other two go into the Temple. I'll look after Appa and Miku, and check if we weren't followed." I nodded, "Be careful, sis. I can't risk losing anyone, including you." She gave me a kiss on my forehead then left to the others, giving them her plan. I saw them quickly exchange hugs with each other. "C'mon guys! We have a Temple to get to." Katara and Sokka ran over to me, and then we began going to the Temple.

~~~

(Y/N)'s POV
A few minutes had passed since the others left for the Fire Temple of Avatar Roku while I waited with Appa and Miku. Appa gave me a tired nudge, "They'll be fine, Appa. Besides, if anyone like Zuko or Zhao arrive, me and Miku will help Aang." Miku growled in agreement, nudging Appa's head. Then I remembered yesterday, of what Wanda told me about today. "If you look in your bag by the time you land on the Island, you will find an item of yours that will help you to fight the soldiers that will attack you. Be warned, the item might look useless, but it will be possessed by a spirit, like myself. It'll look through your memories, so it couldn't hurt the ones you either love or grown a liking to."

I climbed on Appa's saddle and grabbed my bag, looking for an item that would have a spirit inside. The question is: How would I know what I'm looking for?

~~Small time skip~~

Third person POV
Shyu leads the group through some caverns while explaining to them about the temple, "Avatar Roku once called this temple his home. He formed these secret passages out of the magma."

"Did you know Avatar Roku?" Aang asked, "No. But my grandfather knew him. Many generations of Fire Sages guarded this Fire Temple long before me. We all have a strong spiritual connection to this place." Shyu answered.

"Is that how you knew I was coming?"

"A few weeks ago, an amazing thing occurred. The statue of Avatar Roku; its eyes began to glow."

"That's when we were at the Air Temple. Avatar Roku's eyes were glowing there, too!" Katara cut in. "At that moment, we knew you had returned to the world." Shyu spoke more to Aang than anyone else. "If this is the Avatar's temple, why did the sages attack me?" Aang asked.

"Things have changed. In the past, the sages were loyal only to the Avatar. When Roku died, the sages eagerly awaited for the next Avatar to return. But he never came." Shyu answered with slight sorrow.

"They were waiting for me." Aang guiltily said while looking down to the floor. "Hey don't feel bad. You're only a hundred years late!" Sokka humorously mocked the monk, who scowled heavily at him.

"They lost hope the Avatar would ever return. When Fire Lord Sozin began the war, my grandfather and the other sages were forced to follow him. I never wanted to serve the Fire Lord. When I learned you were coming, I knew I would have to betray the other sages." Shyu shook his head sadly as he spoke. "Thank you for helping me." Aang and the sage exchanged smiles.

"We'll follow these stairs to the sanctuary. Once you're inside, wait for the light to hit Avatar Roku's statue. Only then will you be able to speak with him." Shyu said while leading the group up the spiraling staircase.

~~~
Hey guys! I have two things to talk about:

🌸 Quick warning - next chapter will involve gore. So be prepared for it.

🌸 Also, thank you for 97 views! I love you all so much! 💖💖

I'll see you guys in the next chapter!