Chapter Two

"I'm glad you decided to join us Dr. James." Tony says as he opens the door of my jeep.

"If we're going to be working together you might as well call me Kenna."

"Only if you call me Tony."

"Deal." I chuckle, "Do the others know anything about me yet?"

"No, they're waiting for us in the conference room."

He holds out his arm and I take it. As we walk through the doors several people turn to look at us before going about their business.

"You didn't tell them you recruited a shrink? This should go over well."

"They'll love you. Besides you're not just here as a shrink. Don't worry, what you shared with me is for you to share if and when you're ready."

"Thank you Tony."

I knew it was stupid to be afraid to share that part of my story with others but Hydra were the bad guys, especially here. I'd read the reports from the fight with the Winter Soldier. Hydra had tried to turn me into that and I knew firsthand how... bad he could be.

We walk around behind the front desk, the woman behind the desk giving me a strange look as I pass, and enter a large room with a long table in the center; the Avengers seated around it.

"Everyone, I'd like you to meet our newest team member, Doctor Makenna James." Tony says as he stops by the two open chairs.

Six pairs of eyes swivel towards me and I almost laugh.Tony pulls a chair out for me and I sit down, taking his chair at the head of the table to my left. I fold my hands together on the table top to stop me from tapping nervously.

"What kind of doctor are you?" Natasha after a moment of silence.

"I'm a Psychologist, specializing in neuropsychology but I also have training as a medic."

"You hired a shrink?" Rhodes asks in surprise. "You think we're that messed up?"

"Pepper and I have been seeing her since we moved to New York. We've all experienced stuff that she can help with."

"You're seeing a shrink?" Steve asks, not hiding his surprise.

"I am and I think it'd do us all good to have someone to talk to if we need it. Besides I'm brilliant but an actual medical doctor will come in handy on missions I'm sure."

"You work with some of my buddies from the veterans group I think." Sam says pointing at me, "You ran some of the group meetings I've been to."

"I do. I work with a lot of veterans. I've found many of the older veterans have an easier time talking with one of their own, even if it's a woman."

"So you served?" Steve asks.

"I did. Twenty years in the Marines with several tours overseas including the Gulf and several missions during the sixteen years I worked with S.H.I.E.L.D. on a joint task force.

"So you can fight too? I figured a pretty lady such as yourself would prefer to keep her hands clean." Thor jokes.

"I can hold my own. I'd be happy to show you sometime if you'd like."

Thor's eyes widen slightly and I chuckle. After a few more routine questions Tony calls the meeting and everyone gets up to go back to their day.

"So where am I staying?" I ask Tony.

"I can show her around." Nat volunteers.

"That'd be great. Thank you."

I catch Steve looking at me as I follow Nat out of the room and wink at him. I couldn't help myself, he was much cuter in person.