Chapter Ten

I'd expected Steve to come say something to me after we got back to the compound, I hadn't told Sharon he'd cheated on her with me already after all, but that would've taken more guts that he seemed to have. It was sad really. My dad had been part of the POWs Steve had rescued from behind enemy lines, I'd grown up hearing how courageous and selfless Captain America was; I supposed that man had died in the ice.

Luckily I didn't have time to dwell on his behavior. Once Tony, Nat and I talked over Fury's idea and they'd agreed I should do it I hit the ground running; Steve had been too busy to join us.

Most were hesitant of us still operating as I'd expected, Sokovia played a large part in their fears. A handful though were very enthusiastic about working with us if there was ever a need, more than willing to accept help should their countries ever need it but I knew I had my work cut out for me.

Fury had agreed to give me back my program and fully remove it from the government servers, I had Tony oversee that part. Then once we had it back up and running at full strength we'd quickly got the chance to test the waters on how much the other countries would be willing to work with us.

My program, Tony was insisting on giving it a name but we hadn't agreed on one yet, had found a few low level Hydra agents and the fact I worked with the local governments where they were instead of just deploying our team helped quiet some of fears they had but it was still a long road ahead of us. I'd been able to dispatch teams of three to do the collecting. They brought back intel and the agents themselves were very willing to talk which meant to me they didn't know much if anything of importance.

I had just come back from a group meeting at the V.A. with Sam and was getting ready to start cooking dinner; Sharon and Steve were going out to dinner so that made it easier. Watching them together was awful and it took all my will power not to let it slip that I'd slept with Steve when Sharon started with her snide comments.

Walking into the kitchen I come to a complete stop completely at a loss as I look around the kitchen.

"You're not supposed to be in here yet." Wanda says, smiling at me.

"What's all this? I thought I was making dinner tonight?"

"That was before Tony told us it's your birthday! Why didn't you tell us?" Nat asks.

"Cause it's not a big deal. You guys didn't have to do all this."

I walk in, a goofy smile spreading across my face. The last birthday I'd celebrated was my tenth before my dad died. I was touched they cared. I catch Tony looking at me, mischievous grin on his lips and I can't help but chuckle.

"Thank you Tony, this is sweet."

"My pleasure Kenna. Now you sit while we finish. Point Break over there managed to burn the first cake and dropped the second." Tony chuckles, pointing his spoon at Thor.

"That's okay Thor, I can't bake to save my life either." I walk over and kiss his cheek, "It's the thought that counts."

"Happy birthday Lady Kenna." Thor blushes.

"Hey, I want one of those too! Tony made me blow up all the dang balloons." Rhodes grumbles, a balloon in hand.

I walk over and kiss him on the cheek as well, chuckling.

"Not my fault you're the one full of hot air." Tony jokes, winking at me as I stand back up.

"You guys really didn't have to do all this but I'm touched. Thank you."

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late. My meeting ran late. Oh, hey Kenna!" Pepper says coming into the kitchen, kissing me on the cheek, "Either I'm later than I thought or you're early."