Chapter Nineteen

T'Challa had essentially disappeared after our brief conversation and he would not take my calls; I was starting to get worried. And as if that hadn't been enough to cause the headache I had developed I'd spent the last hour arguing with Everett about our next move.

"I know what it looks like but we all know that isn't actually Bucky!" I growl, pointing at the frozen image on the screen. "He hasn't left our compound since he got here."

"We know that but clearly someone is trying to flush Sergeant Barnes out of hiding. I think we should use it to our advantage. We know someone is after him, let's 'bring him in' and see who bites." Ross suggests for the fourth time.

"We know who's going to bite, Helmut Zemo. He's been behind both of the previous attacks on my team and we know he's after Bucky! What we don't know is why."

"Then we set the trap and ask him when we catch him. He's one man. I have a whole building full of trained agents that will be ready to take him down as soon as he shows his face."

I pinch the bridge of my nose and take several deep breaths. We'd been going in the same circle and my frustration was through the roof.

"I have no doubt that your agents are good at their jobs Everett but we know Zemo has the book. If he somehow gets to Bucky before your guys can take him down it only takes seconds for the Winter Soldier to be activated and as skilled as your agents may be they won't be a match for him."

"No we assume that's what he took from Karpov but we don't know for sure. You could be wrong."

"She could be but I wouldn't bet against her." Fury says, speaking for the first time, "That being said I agree with Ross on the rest. I think it's a chance we'll have to take if we want to catch Zemo."

"You want to use Bucky as bait, knowing full well what will happen if he's activated."

"I do. He wants Barnes for a reason, we won't know what until we can ask him. We have Barne's alibi and he's already been given amnesty for the things he did for Hydra. If you're that worried about using him as bait we could simply remove the Winter Soldier from the board."

"But then Zemo would disappear and likely try again some other way." I groan.

I knew they were right, we wouldn't get a better chance to catch Zemo but I knew all too well what Hydra did to Bucky and what being forced to be the Winter Soldier again will likely do to him.

"I won't force him to do this. Friday, will you call Sergeant Barnes please."

"Of course Kenna."

I look at Everett and he meets my gaze.

"I'm trusting you and your team to get Zemo and keep Bucky safe if he agrees to this."

"I know and we will."

An image of the conference room at our facility pops to life beside the frozen image of the bomber as Bucky takes a seat and I smile at him.

"Thanks for answering Buck. We'd like to run something by you."

"You want to use me as bait. Well they do but you don't."

He winks at me and I chuckle. He seemed in better spirits than he had been when I'd spoken to him before the meeting.

"You guys had your own meeting didn't you?"

"We did."

"We could force you to comply, though I think Kenna would murder us if we tired." Fury says.

"You don't have to force me. I agree to being used as bait to catch this guy. It's the best option we have."

"Then it's settled. We transport Sergeant Barnes to somewhere near Vienna and..."