First End Credit Cut Scene

The guard buzzes me through the heavy metal door, and I push it open. The interior of the Raft was dark and cold, the only light coming from inside the cells along the circular walls. Zemo looks up as the door clangs shut behind me, the lock snapping back into place with an audible click. He smiles at me across the darkness.

"I was wondering if you were going to come Makenna." Zemo's soft voice carries across the room as I step into the darkness that separated us, my heels clicking on the metal floor as I go.

"You said you'd only speak to me, so I didn't have much choice did I?"

He shrugs as I reach the pool of light from his cell but doesn't say anything as he looks down at his hands. He rubs his right thumb across a thin tan line on his left ring finger and I can't stop the wave of sympathy that flashes through me.

"I'm sorry you lost your Heike." I say softly.

"I'm sure you are." He scoffs, "Pretty words, that is all those are. She is just another name in the long list of innocents your Mr. Stark has killed. I'd hazard a bet that their names are all you bothered to learn."

I reach into my pocket and draw out the pair of pictures I'd had made on the flight here. I'd expected his hatred to be unchanged, and I'd been right. He looks up as I reach my hand through the bars towards him.

He takes the offered pictures with a perplexed look on his face before he flips them over to see what they were. A genuine smile crosses his lips as he looks down at the pictures.

The first photo was of Zemo and his wife on their wedding day. She was a beautiful woman but the look of pure love that she had on her face as she looks up at her new husband made her even more radiant. He was looking down at her with so much adoration it had been difficult to believe that man was the same man that I'd met in Siberia.

He sniffles and looks up at me for a moment before looking back down and pulling the next picture out. The wedding picture had been easy to find, but this one had been harder. Sokovia had been a failing country for years before Ultron had destroyed it, I had a feeling that was why Hydra had set up shop there to begin with. It hadn't hurt that they hated Tony even though it hadn't been his fault it'd been Stark weapons that had ravaged the country either.

"How did you find this?" He asks quietly, looking up at me with tears in his eyes.

"It wasn't easy. You did a very good job keeping your family away from the worst of the fighting in Sokovia. Carl was a fine young man."

"He was. He was such a happy boy. This was the last time we were together before I left on the mission that kept me safe from the destruction of Sokovia. I wish I hadn't gone, then I'd have been with them when... we'd be together now. Thank you for these."

"You're welcome."

"Doesn't make up for the fact your boyfriend is the reason they're dead."

"We both know there were many people who you could blame for their deaths including Tony, and you wouldn't be wrong blaming any of them. But we both also know that Heike wouldn't have wanted you to throw your life away trying to get vengeance."

"How do you know what my wife would or wouldn't have wanted? You didn't know her! You don't know anything about her."

"I know enough. Do you really think any of them would've wanted to be the reason more people lost their lives? For you to have killed innocent people in their name?"

"I think they'd have wanted to live."

"I'm sure you're right on that but that is not what I asked. No one wishes to die, especially when they are young and healthy as your family was. Do you think they'd be pleased with the way you've chosen to honor their memory?"

"No, I do not." He says after a moment, standing up and walking to stand in front of me on the other side of the bars, "But it does not matter, they're not here are they?"

"No they're not but that does not justify your actions. I think you're a good man despite the things you have done."

He studies my face for a few moments before he furrows his brow and tilting his head to the side.

"You're telling the truth."

"I am. I have no reason to not be truthful with you. I did not have to come here to speak with you, you've admitted your guilt to the charges against you and we had more than enough proof to prove it even if you hadn't."

"Then why are you?"

"A couple reasons but the first being you asked for me. I would like to help you... grieve if you'll let me. I know what it's like to lose your family."

"And what do your friends think about that? I have to say I'm a bit surprised that your dear Captain did not accompany you to see me."

"How do you know Steve is here with me?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at him.

"My guards are fans of his." He shrugs smiling slyly before turning away and sitting back down on his cot.

"Well then I'm sure they'll be very jealous to know you'll be leaving here with us."

He looks up at me in surprise before narrowing his eyes.

"Why am I leaving?"

"Because I say you are. Perks of being in charge. But don't get excited, we are simply transferring you to Rikers Island back in New York until we can figure out what we're going to do with you."

"What do you mean, what you're going to do with me?"

"You see there are a few ways this could play out which brings us to another reason why I'm here right now. We could hand you over to Berlin, seems they aren't very happy with you seeing as how you blew up their power grid and then there's the murder you committed there. And let's not forget Vienna where you literally blew up a building. Of course, Wakanda is requesting we give you to them to make you answer for the death of their king. You've put a price on your head Zemo."

"If you're trying to scare me it won't work. I do not care what happens to me. I'd have ended my life in Siberia if the prince hadn't stopped me."

"I'm not trying to scare you, simply telling you some of the options you have. But I think you might be able to help me with something first."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because despite what you've done lately you're an honorable man."

"Am I?"

"You are. Which is why I know you're going to help me with a little problem I'm having."

"And what problem is that?"

"The device you used to blow up the Stark Industries car on our campus; I know you didn't build it, though I suspect the design is of your creation. All I need you to do is tell me who helped you make it and how I can find them since they seem to be the most likely culprits behind a surge of alien tech weapons that are finding their way to the streets."

"I cannot confirm nor deny your suspicions but if I held the information you seek, I'm not seeing how helping you would benefit me. What are you proposing exactly?"

"A chance to be the man you promised Heike to be, the kind of man Carl could be proud of. What do you say? Will you help me keep more innocent people from getting hurt?"

He looks at me for a long moment, the silence heavy as I look back at him openly. I knew the risk I was taking putting any kind of trust in Zemo but he had resources I didn't. Whoever was behind the weapons needed to be stopped and for some reason I just couldn't find them, Zemo was the only connection I could find with them.

"When do we begin?" He says finally, smiling at me as he gets back to his feet, coming to stand in front of me.

He reaches his hand out towards me and I take it in mine, shaking it firmly.

"Now."