THIRTY-SEVEN

[them]

37. WELCOME BACK

BEFORE THEY KNEW IT, THE WINTER HAD LONG FADED INTO SUMMER. their mornings began with the golden rays of sunlight seeping through the curtains. the bird chirped in perfect synchrony. they sang in their chorus, bringing awareness to the new day that had arrived.

nari had no shoots today. her schedule was free. she didn't have much to do besides, clean up her apartment. nari trudged through her apartment, picking up anything left around.

as she was cleaning nari's eyes fell upon another paper, scraps of lyrics. nari smiled to herself as she read through the paper.

"still with you."

she chuckled, leaving the paper on the countertop to give to jungkook later.

as she turned to clean up things the door began to ring with knocks. there was a tapping, that nari didn't quite expect. she squinted her eyes.

"jungkook." nari headed towards the door, "it's early for you to be back."

nari glanced at the clock on her way to the door. 1:00 pm. jungkook wouldn't be here at this time. he never was. nari head tilted, confusion washed over her face. her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes had narrowed.

the thumping on the door stopped for a second before resuming. nari chuckled. it seemed like jungkook.

nari grabbed the doorknob, turning it to open the door.

"NARI!" an eager scream shot from the door.

before nari knew it, she was engulfed into a hug — the kind that would squeeze all the air out of you. a hug so fierce on nari's ribs. a hug she knew well. nari found herself squeezing the life out of the other as well — holding onto them so tightly, and never wanting to let go.

nari's eyes flickered towards the others welcoming smile as they let go of each other.

"minji." nari gushed, "i didn't know you would be back."

minji chuckled. she swept back her bangs and sent nari a wink. their smiles went around the room as beautiful as a spring flower.

"isn't that what surprises are for, nari?"

nari glanced at her. no matter how far apart they were, they'd be friends forever. their souls would always be connected. their friendship might have not been perfect, like any other it had its ups and downs but now they were each other's stars.

"how long are you gonna stay?" nari played with her fingers as she asked minji.

minji's smile faded into a small frown. she averted her glance to the ground, shuffling hesitantly. she met nari's glossy eyes.