FIFTY-ONE

[her]

51. BROKEN PROMISES

JUNGKOOK TILTED HIS HEAD, continuing to hold onto nari. he held her firmly, never wanting to let go. even nari didn't want to let go. she wanted to stay like this for just a minute longer. she wanted to stay with jungkook. she wanted to return to the times they spent together.

nari held her breath exhaling deeply. she squirmed in jungkook's tight hold. the stench of soju grew, filling up the atmosphere with the bitter flavor.

"jungkook, you can let go of me." nari tried to tell jungkook.

jungkook shook his head. instead his hold around nari tightened. he rested his chin on nari's shoulder, shaking his head.

"NO!" jungkook whined, "i don't want you to leave me again."

nari sighed. her arms were pinned to her side unable to move. she couldn't do anything if jungkook kept holding on to her. she couldn't even go back to her apartment. there was no way she could help jungkook either.

"yep. he's drunk." nari rolled her eyes, "great job nari. you've played yourself."

nari took a deep breath. she smiled softly. for some reason, nari didn't want jungkook to let go. she felt happy. she had missed jungkook.

"jungkook." nari whispered, "i'm not going anywhere."

"you can let go."

jungkook didn't let go. he continued to keep his arms wrapped around nari.

jungkook's eyebrow raised, "i can?"

"yes jungkook." nari bobbed her head, "you can let go."

nari waited for jungkook to let go, but he didn't budge. jungkook stayed frozen, with feet rooted to the ground of his apartment.

"nari i can let go?" jungkook repeated himself once again.

"yes jungkook."

"nari?"

"yes jungkook, you can let go."

jungkook was hesitant. it took him a few seconds before the courage finally settled in. and once it did, jungkook pulled away from nari.

"why don't you go to bed, jungkook." nari suggested, "i'll make you some dinner?"

"you won't leave?" jungkook's eyes looked into nari's.

nari shook her head.

"no kookie." her smile began to fade, "i won't leave you."