FORTY-TWO

[them]

42. PHONE CALL

JUNGKOOK SWORE HIS HEART STOPPED BEATING. the light smile across jungkook's face was wiped away by taehyung's words. he closed his eyes for a second before grabbing the ends of his hair. his gaze settled on nari then fluttered back to taehyung. he couldn't believe this was happening. not now, not ever. this was a nightmare.

"taehyung." jungkook started and then paused, "tell me you're joking."

taehyung let out a deep heavy sigh. he squeezed his eyes shut for a few seconds.

"i really wish i were jungkook."

taehyung pulled out his phone, tapping away and scrolling until he found today's headlines. he stared at the picture of jungkook and nari for a couple seconds before handing his phone to jungkook. he had no clue how they had gotten a picture of the pair.

jungkook's eyes scanned over the picture of him and nari. they were holding hands, walking along the beach. jungkook's feat tapped against the tile as he continued to stare at the picture.

jungkook groaned, burying his face in his hands. his eyebrows furrowed. he narrowed his eyes. he went to a further beach on purpose. he wouldn't have missed a camera sound like that.

"i was being careful, tae."

taehyung glanced at jungkook, nodding his head. taehyung's gaze was fixed on the photograph of jungkook and nari. his shoulders slumped.

"i know kook." taehyung said, "trust me we all know."

taehyung bobbed his head. they knew how much jungkook cared about bts. it meant everything to him, singing was his life and they were his brothers. he wouldn't have done it on purpose. jungkook always overachieved. taehyung let out a sigh.

"everything was going great too."

jungkook ran his hands through his hair, sitting down at the dining table with taehyung. he banged his fist into the table. he tilted his head, trying to figure out when he was being careless. jungkook's lips pressed into a thin line. why was this happening now? why did things like this happen to him?

taehyung glanced at him. he noticed jungkook tensing up. taehyung threw his arm around jungkook's shoulder.

"if nari hadn't been a model." taehyung started, "this wouldn't have been a problem."

taehyung narrowed his eyes. he stared into space. he couldn't help but daze out. so many things were floated through his head. nari made jungkook happy. he would hate to have this mess up things for them both.

"the problem is that she's being recognized."