Thirty One

Seventeen years later.

"And the winner for best Asian actor in a drama series goes to...."

Pin drop silence in the large overcrowded hall. The announcer smiled as she looked at the red card in her hands.

"Kim Taehyung"

A resounding applause filled the hall as Taehyung walked over to the stage adjusting his designer suit. He reached the announcer and smiled as he took the award from her.

As the applause continued, he strolled casually to the tall stand and grabbed the microphone. He flashed his typical boxy smile and began his short meaningful speech.

"It has only been five years since I actively started my acting career. I must say that I'm overwhelmed to be receiving this award. It means so much to me"

"I want to thank everyone who has been by my side till this moment. My family, friends, if it weren't for you all, i would never have reached this height"

He took a deep breath as whisperings filled the hall. "Thank you all so much"

The crowd clapped again and Taehyung got down from the stage trying his best to keep a smile on his face. Mrs Kim got up from her seat and hugged him tightly.

"I'm proud of you son"

Taehyung quickly spoke "Eomma, can I leave? We're done here right? Am I receiving any other awards?"

Mrs Kim shook her head. "No..I think you're done for today"

Taehyung nodded his head. "That's good... let's go"

He stood up and started to leave followed closely by his mother and a group of body guards. Outside the venue, Taehyung slowly walked towards his van. He entered, and Mrs Kim followed suit.

The van started to leave and Taehyung took a deep breath as he unfastened his tie. Mrs Kim looked at him closely

"Taehyung...are you okay? Do you need your meds?"

Taehyung waved it aside.

"Are you sure?"

He just nodded his head. Mrs Kim sighed. She brought out her hand phone and started to scroll through it.

She said absently "Rumors about your relationship with Jin ah, the daughter of RK group chairman have started to circulate throughout social media"

Taehyung sighed non chalantly "So?"

"What do you think? Isn't it time that we admit to it?"

Taehyung frowned "Admit to what?"

Mrs Kim sighed. "Admit to the fact that you're dating her"

Taehyung breathed heavily. He tapped his legs for several seconds before speaking.

"I'm not dating her. In a way, you're the one dating her. I have never liked her but you always forced me to hang out with her. Everything just has to go your own way"

Mrs Kim stared at him in disbelief. "It's for your sake. Do you think you'll be a star for the rest of your life? You're already at the peak of your career. From here on out, it's down you go"

Taehyung didn't say anything. Mrs Kim continued "Marrying a girl like her will secure your future. You'll have a stake in her family fortune and inherit her wealth"

Taehyung smiled. " The last thing I'll do is rely on someone else for my future"

Mrs Kim nodded her head looking down cast. "But you have to settle down. You can't be alone forever. Sooner or later, you'll have to start a family. You're almost thirty five and you haven't even dated someone properly"