Chapter 16:

Alexa's POV:

"Thank you," I nodded to the cashier and took my pouch of pictures into the car. They actually turned out nice, the pictures of Liam and I. After closing the door, I flipped through the pictures again before starting the car again. I loved the way his eyes crinkled when he smiled or laughed, which he's doing in all these pictures.

Shaking my mind, from thinking about him again I quickly shoved the key in the ignition and turned it, pulling out. Calum had understood about my parents visiting and had agreed to stay at Luke and Ashton's if I at least called once. I rolled my eyes at the thought of him constantly checking up on me like I was his girlfriend or something. Calum had been pretty obsessed over the time I had been staying there. It seemed like eternity since I had talked to Liam and it drove me wild. I just craved him. His touch, his mouth, just everything I wanted. I needed.

My phone vibrated in the cup holder and I briefly looked down to check it when I pulled to a stop at the nearest red light.

Mom: 1 hour

An hour. An hour to make sure everything was perfect for my parents. The food, the house, the lie about Liam-- all had to be flawless. Especially the Liam story. I couldn't use my hands, shift in between my feet, play with my hands, nothing. And I had to look my dad in the eyes. That would probably be the hardest. Back when I was a kid, he could detect when I wasn't telling the truth and I never knew how. I could have the straightest face ever with my lie and I would still get my ass beat for whatever I did and lying as a bonus.

I pulled into the parking lot of a crowded parking lot at Harris Teeter, driving up and down the aisle of cars. I still had to get the food and I was in no mood to cook, but luckily for me every person in Rhode Island had the same idea. I needed to get tin foil to wrap the pumpkin pie, heat up some green beans in a pot and leave those on the stove, along with peas and carrots beside it. Hopefully, I could get enough to feed the three of us.

I pulled into a parking spot near the back of lot because that was the closest. As I unbuckled my seat belt, I groaned at the far sight I had to walk. Shoving my hands in my pockets, I took long strides to the automatic door in front of the building. The place was bustling with people which made it more important to get the food and get outta here before they're out. After grabbing a small basket, I walked by the lines they seems to stretch down the aisles and I began to remorse my late planning. I headed to the dessert and my eyes almost popped out of my head. The place was jammed full of carts, baskets, crying kids, chaos. The people were ruthless ripping boxes off shelves and away from others. I even watched an old man snag a can of yams out a pregnant woman's cart.

I'll come back.

It seemed impossible to find the stupid tinfoil in the crowded store. It felt like everywhere I turned there was someone speeding by to get to the next section like it was some race. I some how ended up in the bread aisle when luck struck me. I peered into the shelves and saw gleaming tinfoil from slightly behind the loaves. Snagging it, I quickly shoved it into my basket and moved on, through the store. Pumpkin pie, old in two days. I clenched my basket tighter in protection especially after seeing that man snatched up those yams. The can isle was some what vacant as I sped in trying to find the food quickly before it filled. I ran my fingers over the plastic coverings as I did until I found the green beans and the peas and carrots, dropping them in my basket.

As I returned to my foil finding, I walked past two women fighting over the last raw turkey on display. I thanked God almighty for my parents already cooking one and bringing it over, or I'd be holding on to the that leg. The last aisle, near the back of the store was were I found the promise land. Before anyone else got around I snatched up a box and headed to check out.