Thirty Eight

November, 1997

It was the first week of November and Deshaun, Sharonda, Denaun, and Ondre were all in New York to visit me, and meet Isaiah. Rufus, Von, and Karnail had already came to visit me a few weeks ago, when everybody else was supposed to come. But because Isaiah came so late, DeShaun and Denaun had already committed to going to the Rap Olympics with Marshall, so they came this week instead. That was fine with me, and honestly a little better to have them come in small groups rather than all of them together. Devon's apartment is definitely big, but not big enough to accommodate seven people at once, at least not including me, Devon, and Isaiah. Even with my mom being here for the few weeks she was it started feeling slightly cramped, but that also might be just because it's my mom and she tends to be a little over baring at times, let alone when her grandsons involved. 

But it had been amazing having them all here nonetheless. I was so excited that they were finally here to meet Dana, Brandy, and all of Devon's family, as well as to just show them around New York and my home. They all really liked it, but I think Von liked Brandy a little too much. I have no idea what happened, since neither one of them will tell me anything, but I have a feeling they may have hooked up. They just seemed to be too comfortable with one another for only having met each other once, but who knows? Maybe I'm delusional. 

What was really nice about having them all here though, was the extra help with the baby. Don't get me wrong, between Devon and his family we definitely would have had enough help, but there was something so sweet about seeing all my best friends playing and taking care of my baby as if it was their own. Especially DeShaun. I don't know what's gotten into him, maybe it's all the hours he's spent with Hailie, but he's really become quite the natural with kids. It's so cute seeing him and Sharonda with Isaiah, it makes me wish they would have a baby soon. They'd be such great parents I think. 

Devon had to work today, so it was currently just the four of us, including Isaiah, all just hanging out which made me so happy. Denaun and Ondre had decided to go check out the city a bit more before they all left tomorrow, which was fine with me as I desperately needed to catch up on my homework. As I was sitting at the kitchen table with all of my books open and furiously taking notes, Sharonda, DeShaun, and Isaiah were all in the living room watching TV. 

"Ti, I think Isaiah's hungry." Sharonda cranked her neck to look at me from the couch. 

"What? I just fed him like three hours ago." I said confused as I got up from my chair and made my way over to them. 

Sharonda shrugged. "He seems fussy." 

"May as well try I guess." I picked him up from Sharonda's arms and went to go sit down on the other couch. I know I had said before that there was no way in hell I would be breastfeeding, but as soon as I saw his little face, I knew I had to at least try it for him. And honestly, I'm so thankful I did because I would never give these little moments with him up for anything. 

I pulled my breast out of my tank top and Isaiah latched on right away, just as he always does. DeShaun's face scrunched up in disgust. "Why you gotta do that in front of me?" 

Sharonda smacked his shoulder. "She's allowed to feed her baby, you child." 

I laughed. "Yeah relax, it's not like you can see my whole boob." 

He raised his eyebrows and looked back towards the TV. "Well I can see basically most of it." 

"Don't be such a baby." I said as the phone began to ring. 

DeShaun immediately shot up off the couch. "Thank god." He said relieved, clearly trying to remove himself from the situation and both me and Sharonda rolled our eyes. I heard him click the phone on to answer the call and quickly greet whoever was on the other line with a 'yo.'