Fifty One

May, 2000

April 16th. It was April 16th, and it was finally Ti's birthday. I was really excited, but I was really nervous. I was excited because I had missed so fuckin' much spending her birthday with her, and this was gonna be the first one I had spent with her in so goddamn long... But I was nervous because I'm well aware of just how shitty the last however many birthdays have been for her. I've always known how much she loves her birthday, and I realize I was a big reason as to why her past birthday's have been so awful, so I just really really wanted it go well. I wanted to give her the best, most memorable birthday I could possibly think of. I know making this birthday amazing wont ever make up for all the shit I've given her in past years, but I really feel as if this could be a true turning point for us. If this goes well, she'll know we're no longer those same hurt people, hurting no one but each other. We're different now. We're better now. We're stronger now. She's mine, I'm hers, and nothings gonna ever fuckin' change that again. 

Originally, I was supposed to be in L.A. for a few days, but as soon as we got back together I told Paul and Dre there was no fuckin' way I was missing her birthday, so I would just fly down next week instead. I had planned out the entire day for her, which was essentially just gonna be us and the kids watching her favourite movies, making her favourite food, and doing pretty much whatever she wanted to do. 

But for tonight, me and Sharonda had planned a whole party at a big Detroit club that Paul was able to rent out for me. Karmen agreed to watch all the kids for us so we wouldn't have to worry about them and we could stay out as late as we wanted which I was so thankful for, but I always knew she would say yes to keeping them for the night. That woman will jump at any chance to watch them, let alone have them for a sleepover. 

So, this morning after I carefully tiptoed out of our room, trying my best to not wake Ti, I went and rounded up all the kids to help me start to make breakfast. They were all super excited, except Nate who was always an asshole in the mornings, so instead I just decided to let him sleep rather than tryna wake him up and having to deal with his attitude. 

Just as I was helping Lainey crack the eggs into the pan, I heard Isaiah start to do his classic happy scream that only ever Ti could get out of him. 

"Noo! You were supposed to be sleeping!" Hailie whined, obviously disappointed that the breakfast was no longer going to be a surprise. 

I laughed as I leaned down to kiss Hailie's head and Ti quickly scooped up Isaiah into her arms. "It's okay, Hai. We're almost done anyway." Releasing her, I smiled at Ti and made my way over to her. "Mornin', baby. Happy birthday." Wrapping my arm around her side that was free from Isaiah, I drew her in closely to me, leaving a gentle peck against her lips. 

"Mm, thank you." She hummed, obviously tired but content. 

"Happy birthday, mommy!" Isaiah exclaimed, grabbing her head in between his little hands and roughly placing a hard kiss on her cheek. 

She laughed as both Lainey and Hai immediately yelled, wishing her a happy birthday as well. "Thanks sweeties." She said as she bent over and hugged both of them individually. 

"Aight, go sit down!" I exclaimed as she released Lainey and laughed. "Gimme him. Go sit." She complied, handing Isaiah to me as I quickly finished up the loose ends of breakfast and began plating it. Lainey quickly brought Ti's full plate to her while Hai tried her best to pour the juice without spilling it, bringing Ti a way too full of glass. 

"Aww, this looks amazing. Thanks guys." Ti said genuinely as I set up Isaiah's place and we all sat down to start eating. 

"I made the toast!" Hailie exclaimed proudly.