Twenty Four

December, 1994/January, 1995

It was New Years Eve and me and Denaun decided we'd have a party since we hadn't had one in awhile. We all kept saying how weird it was gonna be celebrating New Years without Ti this year, and I know DeShaun especially was really upset by it. He said he had never celebrated a New Years without her since they were kids which made me feel really bad. As much as I missed her, I couldn't imagine what he was going through having his sister move to a completely different state. He said he had been talking to her everyday and that she was doing good, and she had two roommates who she really liked which I thought was nice. I knew she'd like it as soon as she got there. Ti's really adaptable that way, and she always makes friends really easily. Of course they would love her. Who wouldn't? 

I hadn't talked to her since the day we slept together, so I figured maybe I'd give her a call and wish her a happy New Years before the party started. I just hoped to god she was still home, she might be out at some fancy club with her new friends for all I know. 

I dialled her new number, but I fucked it up not once, but twice, by putting in the wrong area code. God this is so weird. After a few rings a female voice with a South American accent that certainly wasn't Ti's picked up. "Hello?" 

"Yo, is Ti there?" 

"Ti?" The person asked confused. "Oh! You mean Tiyana?" 

"Yeah." 

"Yeah she's here, one second." I heard the person start to yell for her and a few moments later my favourite voice came through the phone. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey! It's me." I said energetically.  

"Marshall! Oh my god hi! How are you?" She returned my energetic tone of voice which made me happy. I was glad she was still excited to hear from me. 

"I'm good, I'm good. How're you, Tiyana?" I joked. 

She laughed. "Shut up, that's just what she likes to call me. She says it's prettier." 

"Who's she?" 

"Dana, she's one of my roommates." 

"Well tell Dana to shove it. Your name's Ti." 

She laughed. "So what have you been up too?" 

"Shit, not much. Been goin' to the shop like every damn day it feels like." 

"Yeah? How's it goin'? They all still lovin' Eminem?"

I laughed. "'Course. Who wouldn't?" 

"Ah that's true. You get any studio time yet?" 

"Nah not yet. I'ma do it this year though. It's one of my resolutions or whatever." 

"I believe in you! You can do it." She said encouragingly and I smiled. 

"So how's New York been treatin' ya? You got any plans tonight?" 

"I do actually! I'm going to some party with my roommates, and my roommates brother. I guess it's his friends party." 

"Yeah? That's dope, Ti. I'm glad you're makin' friends and shit out there." 

"Me too. I was really nervous I wasn't gonna, but these girls have been amazing to me. Dana's from Colombia, so she doesn't have any family or friends here either, so Brandy, my other roommate, has kinda taken us both under her wing and introduced us to her all her family and friends."

I smiled. "That's really nice of her." 

"I know right! We've kinda become like a little family." She giggled. "It's pretty cute."