Twelve

continuation of October, 1990

It was still Marshall's birthday and after all the dramatics with Angie we ended up just watching movies and cuddling for most of the afternoon. "Oh! I almost forgot your birthday presents!" I said and quickly got up off the couch. 

He laughed. "Presents? Plural?" He said as he sat up. 

"Yesss!" I ran to my room and reached under my bed for the bag. "One of them's just small, the other ones your main one." I said as I came back out holding the yellow birthday bag. I placed it down in front of him and sat back in my spot right beside him. He smiled at me and stuck his hand in the bag. The first one he pulled out was a small wrapped rectangle. 

"Oh shit, I know what this is." He said as he started unwrapping it. 

"What?" I smiled at him. 

"I'm gonna say Run-D.M.C's new album." 

"Hmmm, maybe. Keep going!" I said excitedly as he tore the rest of the wrapping paper off to reveal the homemade mixtape that I had made for him. He looked down at it and immediately started smiling. 

"Ti that's fuckin' amazing, thank you." He as he beamed at me and pulled me into a hug. 

I giggled and hugged him back. "Now we both have each other's favourite songs." 

"I love it. Seriously thank you so much." He kissed my head and then released the hug and started inspecting the tape. It looked almost identical to the one Marshall had given me, with the name of each song listed on the front and then the sticker on the actual tape just read 'happy birthday baby boy'.

1. All the Man That I Need - Whitney Houston 

2. Escapade - Janet Jackson

3. Streets of New York - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo 

4. Together - Masta Ace 

5. Miss You Much - Janet Jackson 

6. I Belong to You - Whitney Houston

7. Who Stole the Soul? - Public Enemy 

8. Can I Kick it? - A Tribe Called Quest 

9. Rhythm of Love - Kylie Minogue

10. Vision of Love - Mariah Carey 

11. For My People - EPMD

He laughed while he was looking at the track listing. "What'd I tell ya 'bout this pop music shit?" 

I giggled. "Hey! They're my songs that remind me of you. Plus I added in almost an equal amount of rap 'cause I knew you'd say somethin'." 

He raised an eyebrow at me with a grin. "Kylie fuckin' Minogue?" 

"Yeah okay I knew that one was a long shot but it's a good song!" 

He laughed again. "I love you so much, thank you." He took my chin in between his thumb and finger and left a gentle kiss on my lips.