Thirty Nine

March, 1998

"Fuck, I'm exhausted." I muttered to myself as I jammed the key to Devon's apartment into the lock. It had been a really late night of nothing but choreography down at the school's studio, still trying my best to catch up from when I couldn't do anything thanks to the pregnancy leaving me absolutely wiped.  It wasn't just tonight though, it had been like this every night for the past week and a bit, so it was like I was extra exhausted. 

After jiggling the key around for a few moments, it finally unlocked and I was able to let myself inside. As soon as I stepped inside, I was hit with dim lights, music at a low volume that sounded to be somewhat romantic, and the delicious smell of pan-seared steak. "Baby?" I called out confused as I put my duffle bag that was carrying all of my dance related items down onto the floor. 

"Yo!" I heard Devon's happy voice travel from the kitchen as he came and met me half way. "How you doin', beautiful? How was your day?" He greeted me with a big smile and his arms engulfed me. 

"Uh, yeah it was good." I said trying my best to match his energetic tone. "What's goin' on? Where's Isaiah?" I pulled away from him and cranked my neck to the side in attempt to look for my baby. 

Devon's smile melted into a smirk as he gently placed his hands on the sides of my face. "I asked my parents to look after him for the night so we could have some alone time." 

I felt my heart drop. Not because I didn't trust his parents with him, but merely because he never asked me if he could do this, I've never spent a full night away from Isaiah, and honestly I just really missed him and wanted to see him. "Devon why would you-"

"Shh." He brought two fingers towards my lips in attempt to get me to shut up. "I know that probably stresses you out a little, but please just trust me. He'll be back in the mornin', okay? Just try to relax." 

I inhaled a deep breath through my mouth and then released it through my nose. "Okay." I said quietly as I nodded and Devon's big smile appeared on his face once more. He grabbed my hand in between his palm and began to lead me towards the kitchen table. "Did you at least send him with his stuffed Rhino? The one Rufus and Von got him?" I asked as I sat down on the hard wooden chairs. 

He shrugged as he walked away from me, back towards the kitchen but where I still had a good view of him. "I don't know, Tiyana. I just grabbed a bunch of random shit I thought he might need." 

I rolled my eyes. "Devon that's his favourite toy, you should know that. He can't sleep without it."

I heard him chuckle as he came back out with two plates full of steak and salad. "He's five months old, he can't have a favourite toy. He ain't even conscious yet." 

"Well he does." My voice sounded annoyed as he placed the two plates down, one in front of me, and one in front of his chair. 

He sighed. "Yeah, I sent it with him, baby. Can you please just relax? He's fine." 

I nodded knowing damn well that was a lie, but not wanting to cause an argument. "Yeah, sorry." I whispered in defeat as he came and planted a quick peck on my lips. 

"Aight! Now close your eyes." His voice returned to that same excited tone once more as I watched him scurry back into the kitchen.