Two

December, 1988

Christmas was always one of my favourite holidays growing up, and that hadn't changed one bit. It wasn't one of my favourites because of the presents, those were always pretty sparse around my house. It was one of my favourites because I loved the family time, the hot chocolate, and the lame Christmas movies. 

It was usually just me, my mom, Pepper, and DeShaun who would all spend Christmas together, but this year since DeShaun had met Marshall, he was invited to come. I guess his mom has been off on a bender for a few days, so him and his little brother came over to spend the holiday with us which I thought was nice. His little brother was the cutest kid I had ever seen. He just seemed so happy, and Marshall was such a good brother to him. 

Eric was also supposed to be here, but since he got a new job as a bouncer at a bar, he couldn't book the day off. It made me sad, but I understood it. We needed the money and like I said, he had just started, so he was in no position to be asking for days off yet. 

It was now 12am and the night was winding down. I didn't have my car with me since Eric took it to work, but I still wanted to get back home before his shift ended at 2am, so he wouldn't get mad at me for staying out too late. 

"Why don't ya just walk?" DeShaun asked me as I was complaining to him about not wanting to pay for a cab. 

"I ain't walkin' home alone at this time of night, are ya crazy?" 

"I could walk ya." Marshall offered. 

I shook my head. "Thats fine, you have Nate to look after. I'll just take a cab I guess." 

"Nah, don't worry. He's sleepin', I'll just leave him here and then come back and get him."

"No that's really okay. I ain't want ya to have to walk me there, walk all the way back, then walk home. I'll be fine, don't worry." 

He shrugged. "I ain't got nothin' better to do. Come on, let's just go." He said as he started getting up. 

"Are you sure? You seriously don't have too." I said getting up with him. 

He laughed. "Yeah girl, I'm sure." 

"Fuck dawg, you're way nicer than me. I was just gon' make her ass take a cab." DeShaun laughed while he was still slumped on the couch. 

"That's why ya ain't got no girlfriend." I joked. 

"I ain't got no girlfriend 'cause ya'll bitches are crazy." DeShaun joked back. 

"Fuck, if that ain't the truth." Marshall laughed with DeShaun and I just rolled my eyes at the two of them. I went and said bye to my mom and Pepper and then we were on our way out the door. 

"Shit it's cold out." I said crossing my arms as we walked down the front steps. 

"Here." Marshall said taking his jacket off. 

"You ain't cold?" I asked him with a confused look on my face. 

He shook his head and handed me the jacket. "Nah, I'm warm blooded as fuck."   

I laughed and started putting it on. "Aight, whatever you say." 

"So whatcha been doin'? How's work been?" He asked as we started walking down the driveway.  

"Uh, yeah, it's been fine." 

"Nah, I mean ya real job. Not ya bullshit made up one." He grinned at me and I just glared back.

"I don't know what ya talkin' 'bout." I stated coldly.  

"Come on, you can tell me. I ain't care if ya strip. We all gotta make ends meet somehow."