40

ALEXA

As I stepped out of the school grounds, the darkness of the sky made it feel like it was much later in the day than it was. It was a significant change from how lovely the morning started out - blue sky and sunshine like yesterday - and not a change for the best. I didn't know it was meant to rain at all today, but I guess it was one of those summer rains that came out of nowhere.

I could tell just by looking at the sky that it wasn't just going to be a light rain though. The clouds looked like they were ready to let go of everything they held, drenching what lay below it in relentless downpour.

I just hoped it would do so without any thunder or lightening. I didn't need any flashbacks being triggered, I didn't have it in me today.

Grabbing onto the straps of my backpack, I picked up the pace, hoping to reach Frank's car so his presence could bring me some comfort.

A smile found it way to my face as I turned the corner and saw his black sedan and I had to stop myself from sprinting over to it. I might have tried to if my limbs didn't feel so goddamn heavy.

"Hi Frankie," I smiled as I opened the door.

I detected a faint hint of cigarette smoke in the air as I breathed in deeply, subtly trying to catch my breath from power walking to the car, and it provided me with a sense of comfort. It made me smile knowing he always made a point to smoke away from me and when I wasn't around. I had told him that I didn't care and it didn't bother me but that didn't stop him from trying to hide it. I found it endearing. He must have been sitting here smoking while waiting for me.

"Hey Lex, how was school?" he beamed. He always seemed excited to see me.

I let out a deep breath. "Tiring, but good," I lied.

"That's... good-ish?"

I let out a laugh. "It coulda been worse."

It definitely could have been worse. There was some shoving, things thrown at me, and of course the standard insults, but there wasn't the bashing that I had been anticipating after how yesterday went down. It was almost weird. I was expecting the reaction from what happened in the bathroom with Calli to have been a lot worse than it was, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe she didn't say anything to the top crew? Was that our little secret?

I doubted it though. It almost felt like they were waiting for something, planning something. I knew to not let my guard down - if anything it should be higher than ever, but that would be a problem for tomorrow. As of right now, I was free from all that. I was free and I was with Frank and I was safe. That was all that mattered.

That, and the looming threat of the dark clouds overhead.

FRANK

"I think there's gonna be a storm later," I frowned, looking out the windscreen at the clouds as I drove along the highway. Outside was dark and gloomy, the clouds so heavy they were blocking the sun from getting through.

Just as I said the words, a thick drop of rain landed on the windscreen. I glanced over to Lexa when she didn't say anything like she normally would, only to find her face completely pale.

"Hey," I said softly.

My eyes shifted between the road and her, and then I made the mistake of lightly touching her knee. The contact resulted in her flinching immediately and shifting far over in the passenger seat so she was hard up against the door, the furthest away she could get from me.

My eyes went wide. Thankfully, we got stopped at a red light, allowing me to turn towards her.

"Lex, it's okay, it's just us. You're here with me, Frankie. You're okay," I cooed.