43

ALEXA

"Wait, so like, these are all actually the same flavour?" I asked in disbelief, staring into the bowl of Froot Loops in front of me.

"Mhm," Frank nodded, grinning. "The colours mess with your mind and you think they taste different but they're actually all the same."

I chewed on them slowly, trying to work out whether or not he was just messing with me. I mean, it was Frank, so it was possible.

"Mmmm," I hummed, unconvinced. "That tasted like orange and the green one was definitely lime. I think you're just messing with me, dad - I'm on to you," I teased, raising my eyebrows as I looked over to him.

Frank's face was frozen in a combination of giddiness and being completely enamoured, like I caught him off guard and left him with his mouth half open as he was about to laugh but the words stopped him in his tracks.

I giggled and went back to eating my cereal.

I had been trying to get familiar with calling Frank dad. It still felt a little forgein considering I had never referred to anyone as that before, but I liked how it sounded. It was like a constant reminder that I had a father figure in my life, someone loving and understanding and who cared about me. Every time I called Frank dad, his face lit up like it was the best thing he had ever heard, and I would end up feeding off his energy until we were both overjoyed. It felt nice being the one who was responsible for that.

Frank recovered from his momentary enthralment and chuckled, shaking his head. "If that's what you think, darling, we'll go with that."

His switch between teasing me about something to then being loving and letting me have the final say never failed to warm my heart. I guess that's how it feels to have someone in your life that loves you.

I looked over to him, the warm feeling still coursing through my body, and watched as he took a sip from his coffee mug and turned the page of his book. He got up every morning with me so I wouldn't be eating breakfast alone, claiming it gave him a good opportunity to have some coffee and read before taking me to school. I knew he liked to read a lot, and while I appreciated the company, I couldn't help but wonder if he would still be doing that every morning if I wasn't here.

"I uh, I think I'm ready to tell the fans," I said softly, setting my spoon down.

Considering it was Thursday morning of my second week at school, I felt like I had settled in enough that I was ready to add the next thing.

Frank looked up from his book eagerly, dog-earring the page and setting it down on the bench, smiling affectionately.

"Really?"

I nodded. "I uh, I've been thinking about it, and uh, I think I've kinda got school more or less under control and that's no longer this new scary thing, so I'm kinda ready to add the next thing," I explained, my eyes darting from his warm gaze down to my cereal bowl.

"You don't have to rush into this if you're not ready, Lex. It hasn't even been a week since I said anything. You've got all the time in the world," he said calmly.

"I know, but I kinda can't stop thinking about it so the sooner we do it the better," I laughed. "Y'know, less time to overthink and all."

I met his eyes and saw them full of love. The fact that he wasn't rushing me into it made me want to do it that much more. He gave me the control and I felt like I could do it at my own pace, and I did feel ready. Well, I don't think I could ever be ready - I didn't know how people were going to react to the knowledge of my existence and place in Frank's life - but I felt as ready as I would ever be. Why drag it out?