67

FRANK

"Hey dad?"

I glanced up from my novel to see Lexa standing in the doorway to the reading room, looking at me innocently with big eyes.

The corner of my mouth tugged up. "Whadda ya want?"

She played with her hands before shyly meeting my gaze, biting her lip. "Feel free to say no, but uh, c-could I um... could I maybe mess around in the basement a little? If that's okay."

My small smile turned into a full blown grin. "Yeah! You don't need to ask. Do you need a hand with getting anything out, or do you reckon you got it?"

She visibly relaxed after I said it was okay, allowing her excitement to take over. Despite all the times I told her she was more than welcome to, she always asked me before going down to the basement. I guess her old habits of seeking permission to do anything at all were too deeply ingrained. It was something I was trying to work on with her.

"I should be okay," she said confidently. "I'm just gonna use the usual stuff so I know where it all is. A-and I'll pack it all up when I'm done, I promise."

"That's all good, darling, go nuts!" I said, waving my hand around. "If you wanna mess around with other stuff you're more than welcome to - if you don't know what it is or how to use it just come grab me and I'll show ya."

"Thank you," she beamed before spinning around and hurrying down the hall. "You're the best dad ever!"

I shook my head and giggled as I heard her footsteps down the stairs.

Seeing Lexa excited and wanting to play guitar was making my heart feel full. I loved sharing a passion with her and I loved how I had the equipment to be able to nurture it.

She had been playing a lot lately. I think she was really starting to see just how therapeutic it felt. It was good for her, she needed an outlet - granted she did use drawing for that as well, but I couldn't quite imagine how cathartic that would be when nearly every drawing I had seen - if it wasn't of me or the guys - could pass as something you would see in a nightmare. They were terrifying. At first when she was drawing in pencil they were just off putting, but since Gerard gave her charcoal to draw with as well they became actually terrifying. Something about it was so horror inducing, I was secretly glad she didn't put any of those ones up on her walls. I suppose she didn't want the physical reminder of whatever it was that inspired them.

I returned my attention to my book, getting lost in a fantasy world of the undead for a few pages before my mind began to wander again.

I'd been meaning to organise a time with the guys where we could all get together and do a full play through of The Black Parade but with Lexa playing the rhythm guitar instead of me. I'd had that idea in my head since that very first time at the studio. I knew she knew the songs, I'd been hearing her practice and it brought a smile to my face every time. I knew the guys would be down for it, that was the best part. They would go full out.

Setting the book down on the couch open to the page I was up to, I fumbled around for my phone knowing it was somewhere within reach. When my hand made contact with it, I grabbed it and held it up. With a smile on my face, I scrolled through my contacts before calling Gerard.

"Hey man," I said in an excited voice when he answered.

"Hey Frankie, what's up?"

"So," I began, sitting up on the couch instead of being reclined. I was too excited for that. "Remember how I brought Lex to the studio to meet everyone and how she played Teenagers with you guys?"